Thread: Best fabric for repelling cat hair?

Default Best fabric for repelling cat hair?

I'm thinking of having some vintage chairs reupholstered (depending on the price), and I'm wondering if there is any fabric that is less likely to collect cat hair.

So far, chenille has seemed to be the best of the ones I've tried. I bought a couch in a denim-like, cotton duck sort of fabric thinking it wouldn't collect hair, and it was just the opposite and hard to clean. The velvet-like fabrics are the worst of the ones I have tried so far. I have a microfiber sofa that doesn't seem to have much cat hair on it, but I don't think the cats sit on it much because of the location.

I have not tried leather and am not particularly fond of it, but would consider leather if that meant less cat hair collecting on the furniture.

Teresa

Hi Teresa,

One of the homes I clean has beautiful leather furniture. They have two cats and a dog. The fur accumulates on the leather. And worse, it doesn't just stay on the leather but floats above it too. I can vacuum the furniture to within an inch of it's life (so to speak) but when I go to give the leather treatment there is still fur on it and hovering over it. Drives me crazy!

I was going to suggest heavy denim, only because cat hair does not seem to cling to my jeans. But you've already tried that.

Some kind of sateen? Something with a gloss to it.

Gail

Quote Originally Posted by Teresa View Post
    I'm thinking of having some vintage chairs reupholstered (depending on the price), and I'm wondering if there is any fabric that is less likely to collect cat hair.

So far, chenille has seemed to be the best of the ones I've tried. I bought a couch in a denim-like, cotton duck sort of fabric thinking it wouldn't collect hair, and it was just the opposite and hard to clean. The velvet-like fabrics are the worst of the ones I have tried so far. I have a microfiber sofa that doesn't seem to have much cat hair on it, but I don't think the cats sit on it much because of the location.

I have not tried leather and am not particularly fond of it, but would consider leather if that meant less cat hair collecting on the furniture.

Teresa
    Chenille has a nap, just like corduroy, so it will collect hair like crazy. I'd go with a tight fabric (no nap), and use lint rollers (along with daily grooming). I go through a 60 page lint roller every week - use it on my bed, sofa (which is corduroy...). I don't like leather either...even if it doesn't collect cat hair, you might have punctures from their nails should they decide to scratch it.
    Home of the Northern Mews: Boo and Cookie Arabella (from Yukon) & Orange Julius Caesar (from Alaska)
    Remembering Latte (
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 30 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    2000-2012), Bali (
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 30 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    1998-2011)

"I came. I saw. I conquered."
    Orange Julius Caesar, before meeting Boo

Facebook:

I used to have some chairs with a wide-wale corduroy and they did not collect hair, even from my labs. I now have some chairs covered with a duck-like material that don't collect hair at all, but Cicero can get his claws into it. I'd think a polished cotton type of material would be the best. Cicero sits on the back of the microfiber sofa and it does collect fur. I had some recliners from LazyBoy that had a material that didn't collect fur at all, but I don't know what to call it -- it was a bit shiny and was heavy. I think it's a matter of not what collects the hair but what gives it up the easiest when you vacuum.
    Diane and Cicero - Sr. Manager
    :

I've got a couch that's covered in something called "moleskin", although it must be some sort of artifical material rather than an actual leather, as it's a cloth. The only fur that collects is in the crevices.

It's aggravating, because it was the cheapest couch I ever saw ($100 NEW, 13 years ago, and that was VERY CHEAP even then), and it's ugly but we bought it because we figured the pattern would hide the doghair. Not only does it hide the dog hair, it repels it - it doesn't seem to collect anywhere but in the crevices. Aggravating - if it didn't have this wonderful ability to not collect dog hair and not stain, I could have replaced it years ago. But it seems silly to replace a piece of furniture for being ugly when it's extremely functional still. It smells a bit, but hasn't got a stain on it, and doesn't collect hardly any fur.

So I'd take a serious look at anything covered in "moleskin", whatever the heck that material is.

-Mary
    --------------------------------
    Mary
    (with Tilly
    and Sadie and Elsie) Their album is

Tilly's videos are

Our upholstered dining room chairs have custom cut, removable clear vinyl covers, as does our sofa and they have saved my life!
    Markey

I'm not willing to do vinyl. I'd love to have washable slipcovers, but the only ones I have seen are very expensive and/or need to be ironed every time you wash them.

Hmm. But if I can find a good seamstress, maybe I could choose a washable fabric and have slipcovers made for these.

teresa

From Wikipiedia:

Moleskin, originally referring to the short, silky fur of a mole, is heavy cotton fabric, woven and then sheared to create a short soft pile on one side. The word is also used for clothing made from this fabric. It is also used in adhesive pads stuck to the feet to prevent blisters.

Clothing made from moleskin is noted for its softness and durability. Some variants of the cloth are so densely woven as to be windproof.

Sounds as if moleskin is worth more investigation.

Thanks!

teresa

Gosh, I thought moleskin was from moles, just like mincemeat is from minces.

Quote Originally Posted by Teresa View Post
    I'm not willing to do vinyl. I'd love to have washable slipcovers, but the only ones I have seen are very expensive and/or need to be ironed every time you wash them.

Hmm. But if I can find a good seamstress, maybe I could choose a washable fabric and have slipcovers made for these.

teresa
    We just got desperate with the dog throwing up on the sofa, the cats clawing the chairs (we have cat trees, but no matter) and we have a big issue with pet urine and spraying. So, the vinyl has been mandatory for us, and we cannot have rugs (just throw rugs).
    Markey