Thread: No protein dog treats

Default No protein dog treats

The Vet. told us to not give our 4.5 lb. Yorkie any protien treats because she has to get rechecked for high protien in her blood in about two weeks. We can't find any treats that have no protien, any suggestions? Thanks

Carrots, for one. So if she likes any vegetables, try that.

Hm... maybe some pumpkin, as in dog cookies made with pumpkin?
    Kim Laird,Senior Manager
    The Pets Forums Management Team

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 30 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 30 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

P.S.

Assuming she's eating some sort of food, which seems logical, you can also use that food for treats. That's probably the easiest & safest thing to do.
    Kim Laird,Senior Manager
    The Pets Forums Management Team

I second the suggestion on carrots - carrots are always quite popular with my dogs, as they're easy to chew and pretty tasty!

What's the test for, if you don't mind my asking? Here's hoping the little gal passes her blood test!

-Mary
    --------------------------------
    Mary
    (with Tilly
    and Sadie and Elsie) Their album is

Tilly's videos are

Quote Originally Posted by MaryH View Post
    I second the suggestion on carrots - carrots are always quite popular with my dogs, as they're easy to chew and pretty tasty!

What's the test for, if you don't mind my asking? Here's hoping the little gal passes her blood test!

-Mary
    Amy would never eat a carrot.
    Jill Gallo /Manager

The Petsforums Management Team

Quote Originally Posted by JGallo View Post
    Amy would never eat a carrot.
    Hmmm... did she ever eat any other veggies? Green beans seem like a good choice, or peas. I know our dogs were always OK with those - only veggie that nobody liked (among the dogs) was tomatoes. Lettuce - no problem, broccoli - no problem.

-Mary
    Mary
    (with Tilly

Tilly's videos are

Quote Originally Posted by seacilian View Post
    The Vet. told us to not give our 4.5 lb. Yorkie any protien treats because she has to get rechecked for high protien in her blood in about two weeks. We can't find any treats that have no protien, any suggestions? Thanks
    Just so you know, DON'T give her grapes, while you're investigating what can be used for treats. Grapes, raisins, onions and chocolate are ALL very bad for dogs. Some can tolerate them, but I wouldn't risk it. It's better to just not feed those things, because it seems to be hit or miss - some can tolerate way more than they should be able to, and others can't tolerate any at all. There's no predicting, so error on the side of caution with these foods.

But besides that, a lot of veggies and some fruits can be used as treats. Also, if this diet becomes a regular thing, check with your vet about whether there are any prescription dog treats or whether they're aware of any treats that would have low enough protein. I've seen some recipes online for homemade low-protein treats, so that's one route, but I'd check with your vet as to whether or not it's actually low enough.

-Mary
    Mary
    (with Tilly

Tilly's videos are

Thanks for the suggestions, she is going for another blood test because the last recent test showed her protien level was high????

Quote Originally Posted by MaryH View Post
    Hmmm... did she ever eat any other veggies? Green beans seem like a good choice, or peas. I know our dogs were always OK with those - only veggie that nobody liked (among the dogs) was tomatoes. Lettuce - no problem, broccoli - no problem.

-Mary
    Amy is one of those dogs that if I mixed vegetables into her food, she'd eat around them.
    Jill Gallo /Manager

The Petsforums Management Team