Thread: Cat has a choking like cough

Default Cat has a choking like cough

I have brought my cat to the Vet many times and they have taken all sorts of tests.Nobody knows what can be wrong with him.Many times througout the day he seems like he has something caught in his throught and he tries to clear it.Almost sounds like if we have mucus in our throats and we cough to clear it.He does it all day and for months now.The vet can even make him do it on cue by kind of rubbing his throat. Has anyone ever heard of this before or have any ides what it can be?

Quote Originally Posted by wayno View Post
    I have brought my cat to the Vet many times and they have taken all sorts of tests.Nobody knows what can be wrong with him.Many times througout the day he seems like he has something caught in his throught and he tries to clear it.Almost sounds like if we have mucus in our throats and we cough to clear it.He does it all day and for months now.The vet can even make him do it on cue by kind of rubbing his throat. Has anyone ever heard of this before or have any ides what it can be?
    That's a tough one. Some cats do the coughing-up-a-hairball hack a lot, but your vet should recognize that sound.

Have you considered taking your cat to another vet for a second opinion, since your vet can't diagnose the problem?

Cassy
    Cassy
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 30 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    and Sebastian-da-Ninja-Kittee
    Staff - Cat Care & Behavior
    Roving Staff - Cats Forums

Quote Originally Posted by wayno View Post
    My cat Irving <rb> had a barking kind of cough like that. He would cough and bark at various times during the day. Turned out he had athsma pretty bad. They can treat that quite well with medication. He also had respiritory tract infections periodically which depending upon what bug is causing them may be treatable as well.

mw & mw

That's a tough one. There are a lot of things that can cause a cough, from a hairball to heart problems. I agree that if your vet can't diagnose it, you might want to get a second opinion. Is there a veterinary school near you, or a cats-only vet?
    Diane and Cicero - Sr. Manager
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 30 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    :

Hi, and Welcome to the forum! though I'm sorry it's a problem with your kitty (what's his name?) that brought you here.

Do you smoke? If you do, and you smoke in the house, that is one thing that should be changed immediately.

Other than that, I have nothing new to add but agree that a second opinion is the way to go. (I,like MW&MW, also had a cat with asthma who had similar symptoms, the asthma was controlled with prednisone.)

Do please come back and let us know how things go.

Gail

I remember Irving had a respiritory infection that was mis-diagnosed as part of his athsma. The bug was one that was extremely hard to detect. Something called Rickettsia. Not a virus but not quite a bacteria. Anyway, once they treated it he was much better. Though his "athsma" never went completely away he had those attacks very infrequently.

mw & mw

Sometimes an upper respiratory infection requires two defferent antibiotics given at the same time. Just make sure you check with your Vet to see which ones can be given at the same time. Keep giving the meds for a week past any signs of sickness.