Thread: My Dog swallowed a large steak bone!

Unhappy My Dog swallowed a large steak bone!

Hi I have a 17 week old 30 lb coonhound puppy. He swallowed a 4 inch cooked steak bone about the size of male finger. Ahh, I wish I had an endoscope with clamps and stuff to knock him out. I would just gently take it out through his mouth. I have called vets they say to wait until he starts throwing up or not eating, having problems then bring him in for $800-$1500 surgery. I don't want to take the chance. Is there anything that will help digest the bone? Lemon juice? Vinegar? Pepsi/Coke? canned pumpkin? something that breaks down the calcium phosphorous or what ever bones are made of feel free to contact me if you have suggestions. Thanks

Hi there
    I would try to do that the vets say, and wait. Dogs can digest bone but it's far better if it's raw bone. He might be perfectly OK. I wouldn't give him any of those things you suggest because they wouldn't be as good as his own digestive juices at breaking down the bone.
    If the bone were obviously stuck, then I would give him a knob of cheese in the hope that it pushed it down, but from what you say it sounds as though it has gone down OK.
    Fingers crossed!

As long as he is not choking, everything should be fine. Just keep an eye on him.

Quote Originally Posted by mattaltemus@gmail.com View Post
    Hi I have a 17 week old 30 lb coonhound puppy. He swallowed a 4 inch cooked steak bone about the size of male finger. Ahh, I wish I had an endoscope with clamps and stuff to knock him out. I would just gently take it out through his mouth. I have called vets they say to wait until he starts throwing up or not eating, having problems then bring him in for $800-$1500 surgery. I don't want to take the chance. Is there anything that will help digest the bone? Lemon juice? Vinegar? Pepsi/Coke? canned pumpkin? something that breaks down the calcium phosphorous or what ever bones are made of feel free to contact me if you have suggestions. Thanks
    I would just wait for nature to take it's course. If he doesn't pass it, you'l know. Just keep an eye on him to make sure that he's eating and pooping ok.
    Jill Gallo /Manager
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 30 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The Petsforums Management Team

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 30 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

He's a large enough dog already (30 lbs!!!) he might be ok.... it might be a bit rough, but as others have mentioned - you'll know if he needs help. If he shows any signs of being blocked, or acts at all funny (vomiting, not eating), take him in.

The fun of a puppy, isn't it? The things they eat!!!!! I feel for ya - goodness knows, my dogs ate a few things when they were puppies that had me really anxious.

-Mary
    --------------------------------
    Mary
    (with Tilly
    and Sadie and Elsie) Their album is

Tilly's videos are

Hi and welcome to the forum! Believe it or not I had a dog that swallowed a large rib bone once and there was never a problem with it. I guess it just digested and dissolved. I don't blame you for not wanting to take a chance, but this may just pass right through him. Was it a rough bone? While you're waiting to see what happens with this, tell us about your puppy!
    Diane and Cicero - Sr. Manager
    :