Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Antihistamines and Cats

Default Antihistamines and Cats

Milton has allergies too. I had him tested a few years ago and had to switch his food and he's done a lot better, but the insides of his back legs still itch sometimes. I've found that human antihistamine works best for him. He actually comes running when he hears the pill bottle because he's figured out that they make him feel better....and he isn't into treats, so he's not mistaking the pills for treats...he doesn't come running for treats.

Can I use any kind of antihistamine on my cat?
    She gets an allergy shot every other month but it has a steroid in it.
    I have changed her kitty litter & her food and she is still having allergies.
    She gets itchy on the inside of her back legs and her tummy. She will lick until she makes sores on herself.

Quote Originally Posted by Cynthia View Post
    She gets itchy on the inside of her back legs and her tummy. She will lick until she makes sores on herself.
    Cynthia, if you are not happy with the way your cats allergies are being treated, you can ask your vet about other options (including oral antihistamines) or go to a different vet for a second opinion.

However please don't start any medication, especially and including human medicines, without your vet's approval.

I don't blame you for not wanting the steriod shots long term, and she probably doesn't like the vet because the shots hurt. Are you feeding her (who?) a special prescription food that's specific for cats with food allergies?

Gail

No, cats cannot take all human antihistamines…in fact, some can be quite dangerous for cats. The one I give Milton has been recommended to me by multiple vets in different practices, so I think it is pretty standard for cat allergies. I think the pill is 5 mg and I cut it in half and give him half a pill twice a day when his allergies are in full swing. The brand name is Chlortrimatron (sp??) but I buy the generic version…if I remember right it is $2.12 for 100 caplets at Wal-Mart. I had tried a cat-specific antihistamine but it cost over $1 per pill and didn’t work as well. I would definitely talk to your vet before trying anything new.

I second that advice. Our old vet recommended Chlor-TRimeton, which I happened to be taking myself (still do, if I don't have any Zyrtec handy). The present vet also likes it. HOWEVER...skin allergies don't respond as well as sneezing does. Dr. Gus mentioned the rather expen$ive cream you can use for that. Our Steph <rb> had hideous food allergies all her life, and the only thing that really helped her was daily fish oil supplements and a very careful watch on what she ate, even to little treats she might sneak.
    (I don't want to scare you, because her allergies did finally kill her as both vets predicted they would. After all, some people are so allergic to peanuts, say, or shellfish that they die; most people just have annoying hay fever and certainly don't end up in ICU. She just happened to be one of the truly unlucky ones.)

--Becky

Quote Originally Posted by GailS View Post
    Cynthia, if you are not happy with the way your cats allergies are being treated, you can ask your vet about other options (including oral antihistamines) or go to a different vet for a second opinion.

However please don't start any medication, especially and including human medicines, without your vet's approval.

I don't blame you for not wanting the steriod shots long term, and she probably doesn't like the vet because the shots hurt. Are you feeding her (who?) a special prescription food that's specific for cats with food allergies?

Gail
    The only thing the Vet recommended was the shot. He said its hard to tell what they are allergic to. I was feeding her Trilogy but when I noticed that my dog was allergic to it I have now switched to Blue Buffalo.
    I still have a little Trilogy left so I'm not sure if she is doing better on the Blue Buffalo or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Cynthia View Post
    Check with your vet to see if antihistamines are good for your kitty and what dosage to use. You might want a referral to an animal dermatologist. My cat Cicero was licking and chewing relentlessly -- the prednisone would work for a while but it would keep coming back. He's now on a prescription med called Atopica which works great for his condition.
    Diane and Cicero - Sr. Manager
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 30 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    :

Quote Originally Posted by Teresa_Rae View Post
    No, cats cannot take all human antihistamines…in fact, some can be quite dangerous for cats. The one I give Milton has been recommended to me by multiple vets in different practices, so I think it is pretty standard for cat allergies. I think the pill is 5 mg and I cut it in half and give him half a pill twice a day when his allergies are in full swing. The brand name is Chlortrimatron (sp??) but I buy the generic version…if I remember right it is $2.12 for 100 caplets at Wal-Mart. I had tried a cat-specific antihistamine but it cost over $1 per pill and didn’t work as well. I would definitely talk to your vet before trying anything new.
    One thing to be very careful of is to not give an antihistamine with Tylenol or acetaminophen in it as that can be deadly to a cat. It's always best to have a vet instruct you on how to give even OTC meds.
    Diane and Cicero - Sr. Manager
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 30 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    :

Quote Originally Posted by Teresa_Rae View Post
    No, cats cannot take all human antihistamines?in fact, some can be quite dangerous for cats. The one I give Milton has been recommended to me by multiple vets in different practices, so I think it is pretty standard for cat allergies. I think the pill is 5 mg and I cut it in half and give him half a pill twice a day when his allergies are in full swing. The brand name is Chlortrimatron (sp??) but I buy the generic version?if I remember right it is $2.12 for 100 caplets at Wal-Mart. I had tried a cat-specific antihistamine but it cost over $1 per pill and didn?t work as well. I would definitely talk to your vet before trying anything new.
    Quote Originally Posted by BeckyMorgan View Post
    I second that advice. Our old vet recommended Chlor-TRimeton, which I happened to be taking myself (still do, if I don't have any Zyrtec handy). The present vet also likes it. HOWEVER...skin allergies don't respond as well as sneezing does. Dr. Gus mentioned the rather expen$ive cream you can use for that. Our Steph <rb> had hideous food allergies all her life, and the only thing that really helped her was daily fish oil supplements and a very careful watch on what she ate, even to little treats she might sneak.
    (I don't want to scare you, because her allergies did finally kill her as both vets predicted they would. After all, some people are so allergic to peanuts, say, or shellfish that they die; most people just have annoying hay fever and certainly don't end up in ICU. She just happened to be one of the truly unlucky ones.)

--Becky

I am glad to know about the Chlortrimeton and will ask my vet about it for Mazy this winter, if she shows signs of allergies to the Asian Lady Beetles. That last two years the problem has not been as bad and Mazy did okay, but this is going to be a bad year, and Mazy is very allergic to them, with terrible sneezing.

Are there any side affects? Also I'm wondering if it can be compounded into a transdermal as I don't think pilling Mazy twice a day is an option I care to contemplate. She allows a lot more liberties than I ever dreamed she would, but I doubt she's ready for that yet!

Gail

PS I wonder if staff could split the allergy portion of this thread into a new thread with a new subject heading, perhaps we'd get more feedback from others who deal with allergies in cats if it was in the subject line.

Thanks.

Gail

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast