Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can I Tell If a Cat Has a Microchip?

OriJa

Default Can I Tell If a Cat Has a Microchip?

Is there some way for me to tell (besides taking it to the vet and having it scanned) if a cat has a microchip implanted? Is there a scar or something you can feel or see somewhere?

it usually planted at the back of your pet.. you can feel it by your hand.. but not sure if its there's a scar...
    Dog Crates | Dog Training Collars

OriJa

Quote Originally Posted by jacko View Post
    it usually planted at the back of your pet.. you can feel it by your hand.. but not sure if its there's a scar...
    Can you be more specific? Like, where on the back exactly? I have a stray that I've been taking care of, and I want to try to feel if she has a microchip...

There's no visible scar. The chip is usually implanted near the right shoulder blade. It feels like a large grain of rice just under the skin, kind of in the pit that the shoulder blade makes between the shoulder and the backbone. It is very, very hard to find unless you know what you're looking for, but if you feel around carefully you may find it. Just take the skin lightly between your fingers and pinch very lightly all around the right shoulder blade area. A vet or a shelter, of course, can scan for a chip. If you're checking Karma, it may take a few sessions, depending on how patient she is with your poking.
    Diane and Cicero - Sr. Manager
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 30 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    :

ditto to Diane's post .. they are not easy to find merely by feeling around, esp. the first time you go to look.

good luck!

best regards .mitch

Quote Originally Posted by OriJa View Post
    Can you be more specific? Like, where on the back exactly? I have a stray that I've been taking care of, and I want to try to feel if she has a microchip...
    Orija, read my post.
    Diane and Cicero - Sr. Manager
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 30 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    :

Lad (dog) is chipped and I have yet to find it.
    Janice

If you touch me, You'll know what happiness is
    Trevor Nunn, T S Eliot, Andrew Lloyd Webber

OriJa

Quote Originally Posted by DianeP View Post
    Orija, read my post.
    I did. But I posted that before you replied. See? ^ And thank you.

I tried to poke and squeeze around Karma's shoulder blades and couldn't find anything. I seriously doubt she's chipped but figured it was worth looking for.

Quote Originally Posted by OriJa View Post
    I tried to poke and squeeze around Karma's shoulder blades and couldn't find anything. I seriously doubt she's chipped but figured it was worth looking for.
    yes, it was a good thought, esp. when the cat seems as if s/he may have had a home at one time.

best regards .mitch

OriJa

Quote Originally Posted by mitch View Post
    yes, it was a good thought, esp. when the cat seems as if s/he may have had a home at one time.

best regards .mitch
    I've often wondered about that. I don't know anything about her past, so I'm not sure if she once had a home or if she was always a stray/drifter/feral. In the beginning, she was very reluctant to let me pet her and she would often run from me. But now, she comes right over to me and rubs me and likes me to rub her face and shoulders and neck. I couldn't do that six months ago. I don't know if it was because she just didn't know me, or if she just wasn't used to people in general.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast