Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 17

Thread: PLEASE HELP! My cat keeps retching up slightly thick clear mucus?

  1. #1
    New Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Posts
    18

    Exclamation PLEASE HELP! My cat keeps retching up slightly thick clear mucus?

    My cat is 9 years old, medium hair and has recently gone to the vet for a checkup. They said he was in perfect health other than some worms that need to be taken care of and a minor flea problem as well as some dental problems. He's an indoor kitty. He coughs up hairballs every now and then. During the past three days (today being the 3rd) he has been retching up small amounts of slightly thick, clear mucus from his mouth. He does this off and on through out the day. I inspected the mucus and there is no blood, hair or food. It is clear like saliva but a little thicker than that. What could this be? Could he have eaten something he wasn't supposed to and it's possibly stuck somewhere in his bowels? His breathing is fine and he is eating like he normally does as well. Any help or suggestions is appreciated! Thanks!
    Last edited by kittymama6337; 09-28-2008 at 04:50 AM.

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    1,675

    Default

    hi, thanks for your post, and welcome to the forum.

    i think i would definitely call the vet and ask.

    hmm, was your kitty treated for the worms? how long ago was this? i'm wondering if this is an aftereffect of having been wormed.

    best regards .mitch

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Southern Maryland
    Posts
    2,166

    Default

    A few years ago Muffie was throwing up mucus and I ended up taking her to the ER on Sunday to have her checked over. They found out she had an UTI and some hard stools stuck in her colon. They kept her overnight and flused out the stools and she was find after that.

  4. #4
    Senior Member GailS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Northern Catskill Mountains
    Posts
    17,400

    Default

    HI and welcome to the forum!

    How's your kitty (what's his name?) doing now since you wrote? I'm hoping he's stopped the retching, but if he hasn't I agree that he needs to see the vet.

    If it were me, I'd be calling to find out who's on call and getting him seen today by the on call vet (no vet ER clinics here), I'm not good with the wait and see method, but if he's not improved, and by that I mean, the retching completely stopped, most definitely get him seen first thing tomorrow.

    Please do come back and let us know how your boy is doing.

    Gail

  5. #5
    New Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Posts
    18

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mitch View Post
    hi, thanks for your post, and welcome to the forum.

    i think i would definitely call the vet and ask.

    hmm, was your kitty treated for the worms? how long ago was this? i'm wondering if this is an aftereffect of having been wormed.

    best regards .mitch


    Thanks for the welcome =)
    I treated him for worms here at home with a natural worm medication I'm trying out from Petco. This was about one week ago, I don't know if this is what's affecting him though.

  6. #6
    New Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Posts
    18

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GailS View Post
    HI and welcome to the forum!

    How's your kitty (what's his name?) doing now since you wrote? I'm hoping he's stopped the retching, but if he hasn't I agree that he needs to see the vet.

    If it were me, I'd be calling to find out who's on call and getting him seen today by the on call vet (no vet ER clinics here), I'm not good with the wait and see method, but if he's not improved, and by that I mean, the retching completely stopped, most definitely get him seen first thing tomorrow.

    Please do come back and let us know how your boy is doing.

    Gail
    Thanks for the welcome =)
    His name is Kasper, he's my baby =) .. he follows me around like a shadow!
    He seems to be doing better today. I went on instinct last night and got out some packaged salmon that was kind of like the consistency of tuna. I added some water for a smoother ride down and for better hydration. He gobbled it up as he would normally .. because its fish! He has only retched about twice today, it's less than it was yesterday and he seems more active today and alert .. more like he normally is. So perhaps what I gave him has helped.. I'm hoping so!

  7. #7
    Senior Member GailS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Northern Catskill Mountains
    Posts
    17,400

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kittymama6337 View Post
    Thanks for the welcome =)
    I treated him for worms here at home with a natural worm medication I'm trying out from Petco. This was about one week ago, I don't know if this is what's affecting him though.
    Oh dear, I'm sorry to hear that. "natural" does not always mean safe. If you treated him one week ago and his symptoms started 3 (now almost 4?) days ago, it could very well be the medicine. Please call a vet immediatley and tell the vet the ingredients in the worming medicine. Perhaps they can tell you over the phone if they think the medicine is what's bothering him, based on the ingredients.

    Gail

  8. #8
    Senior Member GailS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Northern Catskill Mountains
    Posts
    17,400

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kittymama6337 View Post
    Thanks for the welcome =)
    His name is Kasper, he's my baby =) .. he follows me around like a shadow!
    He seems to be doing better today. I went on instinct last night and got out some packaged salmon that was kind of like the consistency of tuna. I added some water for a smoother ride down and for better hydration. He gobbled it up as he would normally .. because its fish! He has only retched about twice today, it's less than it was yesterday and he seems more active today and alert .. more like he normally is. So perhaps what I gave him has helped.. I'm hoping so!
    I'm glad he's eating, and seems to be doing better today. I do still urge you, though, to let your vet know exactly what you gave him for worming medicine. And also tell the vet about Kaspers retching, so it will be in his record.

    And just for future reference, OTC products are not always safe. In fact, you really are playing a bit of "russian routlette" every time you use OTC medicines (flea medicines, dewormers, etc) on your cat, unless your vet has first approved the product.

    I still would bring him in for a recheck. And you could bring a stool sample, too, to be sure the dewormer actually did the job.

    Got any pictures of Kasper?

    Gail

  9. #9
    New Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Posts
    18

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GailS View Post
    I'm glad he's eating, and seems to be doing better today. I do still urge you, though, to let your vet know exactly what you gave him for worming medicine. And also tell the vet about Kaspers retching, so it will be in his record.

    And just for future reference, OTC products are not always safe. In fact, you really are playing a bit of "russian routlette" every time you use OTC medicines (flea medicines, dewormers, etc) on your cat, unless your vet has first approved the product.

    I still would bring him in for a recheck. And you could bring a stool sample, too, to be sure the dewormer actually did the job.

    Got any pictures of Kasper?

    Gail
    Hi, thank you for the suggestion, tomorrow morning I will be sure to call the vet and let them know what I gave them for worming medicine.

    I am a photographer so I love to take lots of pictures of everything! I post some of them up online and I have posted up pictures of each one of my cats here:

    http://veiledbeauty6337.deviantart.c...lery/#Feline-s

    kittymama6337

  10. #10
    Senior Member midnightblze's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    7,555

    Default

    I'll echo the others suggesting at least calling the vet with the ingredients. It can be scary when they start throwing up. Kasper is quite a big kitty in your pictures. Hope it turns out to be nothing more than a minor upset.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •