Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Adequan use in cats

Default Adequan use in cats

My vet and I are in discussions about what would be the best pain relief for Ootay's arthritis, her pain is getting worse.

She left me a message today, in reply to my message to her. We had discussed tramadol; side affects of constipation and nausea are a concern.

She also mentioned the injection adequan, which is used in dogs. I have done a little research and haven't come up with anything about use in cats. I know often vets use medicines off label for cats that are approved only for dogs.

The website wasn't very forthcoming with information. It mentioned 8 injections for 6 months relief, but did not say how far apart the injections are (once a week, twice a week?) nor how the injections are given. (intramuscular? intravenous? subcutaneous?)

I don't think I'd want to put Ootay through the regimen of 8 injections but am curious if anyone else has any input on this.

Gail

(we'll probably just go with the tramadol. vet wants to look into liquid, to get more exact dosing. I'd rather have pills, Ootay is easier to pill than syringe, but we'll see)

Quote Originally Posted by GailS View Post
    My vet and I are in discussions about what would be the best pain relief for Ootay's arthritis, her pain is getting worse.

She left me a message today, in reply to my message to her. We had discussed tramadol; side affects of constipation and nausea are a concern.

She also mentioned the injection adequan, which is used in dogs. I have done a little research and haven't come up with anything about use in cats. I know often vets use medicines off label for cats that are approved only for dogs.

The website wasn't very forthcoming with information. It mentioned 8 injections for 6 months relief, but did not say how far apart the injections are (once a week, twice a week?) nor how the injections are given. (intramuscular? intravenous? subcutaneous?)

I don't think I'd want to put Ootay through the regimen of 8 injections but am curious if anyone else has any input on this.

Gail

(we'll probably just go with the tramadol. vet wants to look into liquid, to get more exact dosing. I'd rather have pills, Ootay is easier to pill than syringe, but we'll see)
    I'd be interested in information on this also. I haven't heard of it being used in cats so don't know what if any problems might arise and don't know how it would be given (SubQ ... IM ... or ?)
    Marci DeLisle
    Cats/Rescue, Feral and Stray
    Camp Counselor at Camp Happy Cat
    Owner of NW Critter Sitter - "Paws-itively Purr-fect Pet-sitting"
    Owner of Northwind Reiki ~Animal Reiki for the fur-persons in your life!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 30 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I've never heard about using it in cats. These guys do:

http://marvistavet.org/html/adequan.html

This is from VIN (Veterinary Information Network):

http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&A=587
    Dr. Gus

Default Adequan

I wanted to let folks know that my 11-year old calico is on week 5 of 6 of adequan injections for pain in her right hip. We initially tried just the cosamine in her catfood but her condition did not improve. At her worst, she could only take 3 steps and would then stop. Now after 5 weeks of the adequan injections and cosamine, she is about 90% back to her sweet self. In fact, when she sees me bring out her leash to head to the vet she now RUNS away! After her final injection next week, we'll start a monthly injection schedule. I hope things continue to remain stable.
    Last edited by sullyindc; 08-06-2009 at 11:45 PM. Reason: typo

Quote Originally Posted by sullyindc View Post
    I wanted to let folks know that my 11-year old calico is on week 5 of 6 of adequan injections for pain in her right hip. We initially tried just the cosamine in her catfood but her condition did not improve. At her worst, she could only take 3 steps and would then stop. Now after 5 weeks of the adequan injections and cosamine, she is about 90% back to her sweet self. In fact, when she sees me bring out her leash to head to the vet she now RUNS away! After her final injection next week, we'll start a monthly injection schedule. I hope things continue to remain stable.
    Hi and welcome to the forum! I'm glad things are working out for your Calico. Hopefully a maintainance schedule will prove just as effective.
    Jill Gallo /Manager
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 30 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The Petsforums Management Team

I'm really glad to hear that the program is working so well for your Calico. What's her name? We'd naturally love to see photos
    Karen A/Publicist

That's good news -- it's nice to hear success stories! Welcome to the forum!
    Diane and Cicero - Sr. Manager
    :

Default Adequan Use in Cats

Hi,

Our cat will have her 8th dose of injectable Adequan next Monday, we will continue monthly after that. Her name is Bubbles and she is a 13 yr old DSH tabby-marked cat, but has been exhibiting issues for about 3 years now. She will not take any type of pill or powder without a very stressful situation for us all and Vet visits are also hard on her. Our Vet decided to teach me how to give the injections and it has been great. Not only does she not mind them, but she appears to be more active than she has been in years.

Her arthritis appears in her hips and lower spine before the tail. She was sensitive to touch (gentle strokes) in the all of the lower spinal area prior and now does not seem bothered by it at all. After resting a long time she would shake as she tries to walk. She still has some of that, but there is a noticeable reduction thus far.

I hope this gives someone else some ideas or hope if you have to make a decision about the same! BTW, she is the kitty on the right in my photo...

-Holly
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by HMR35 View Post
    Hi,

Our cat will have her 8th dose of injectable Adequan next Monday, we will continue monthly after that. Her name is Bubbles and she is a 13 yr old DSH tabby-marked cat, but has been exhibiting issues for about 3 years now. She will not take any type of pill or powder without a very stressful situation for us all and Vet visits are also hard on her. Our Vet decided to teach me how to give the injections and it has been great. Not only does she not mind them, but she appears to be more active than she has been in years.

Her arthritis appears in her hips and lower spine before the tail. She was sensitive to touch (gentle strokes) in the all of the lower spinal area prior and now does not seem bothered by it at all. After resting a long time she would shake as she tries to walk. She still has some of that, but there is a noticeable reduction thus far.

I hope this gives someone else some ideas or hope if you have to make a decision about the same! BTW, she is the kitty on the right in my photo...

-Holly
    Thanks so much for your post about how well Bubbles is doing on the Adequan! Both of your cats are just beautiful. I'm so glad it's working for her and making her (and your) life happier.
    Diane and Cicero - Sr. Manager
    :

Quote Originally Posted by HMR35 View Post
    Hi,

-Holly
    Thank you so much for coming in and sharing your experiences! It's very useful to know, because, who knows I may opt for this type of treatment in another situation with another cat. Esp. if I can give the shots at home.

Are you doing the shots subcutaneously? One of the things that put me off was I thought the shots had to me intramuscular, and were very painful, and I could not see putting my little Ootay Princess (rb 5/09) through that, after all she'd already been through.

Gail

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast