Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: can you give imodium AD to cats

Unhappy can you give imodium AD to cats

My cat has a very sensitive stomach. The vet has her eating Hill's I/d.
    She has very loose stools all the time. Most of the time she will use the litter box but other times she has accidents. I crate her at night with a litter box but she will have diarrhea next to the litter box in the crate or if she is loose in the house sometimes she will have diarrhea in my bathtub. Is it safe to try some Imodium AD and how much should I give her. She is about 5lbs.
    Thanks,
    Cynthia

Did you ask your vet? I don't know if it's safe for animals.
    Jill Gallo /Manager
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 30 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The Petsforums Management Team

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 30 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

When Brzee had diarrhea, the vet gave him Hill's R/D, which got him back to normal fairly quickly. I think he also gave him a kind of cat immodium but I can't find the receipt now to see what it was.

Teresa

Maybe the vet has her on the wrong diet. He said she needed I/d but she keeps having diarrhea. The vet has giving her a big work up with blood work and everything and just told me she has a sensitve stomach. I wish she would always use the litter box. I don't know why when I crate her she will go next to the litter box instead of in it. I will have to call my vet on monday and see what medicine I can give her because she has been worse lately.

Quote Originally Posted by Cynthia View Post
    My cat has a very sensitive stomach. The vet has her eating Hill's I/d.
    She has very loose stools all the time. Most of the time she will use the litter box but other times she has accidents. I crate her at night with a litter box but she will have diarrhea next to the litter box in the crate or if she is loose in the house sometimes she will have diarrhea in my bathtub. Is it safe to try some Imodium AD and how much should I give her. She is about 5lbs.
    Thanks,
    Cynthia
    I wouldn't give it without checking with your vet first. There are too many human meds that will cause all kinds of problems when you use it with pets. If it's safe your vet would be able to give you info on how much to give.
    Marci DeLisle
    Cats/Rescue, Feral and Stray
    Camp Counselor at Camp Happy Cat
    Owner of NW Critter Sitter - "Paws-itively Purr-fect Pet-sitting"
    Owner of Northwind Reiki ~Animal Reiki for the fur-persons in your life!

Cynthia, a probiotic would be better for her than a human anti-diarrheal.

Probios, benebac, fortiflora, or simply an acidophillus capsule (sprinkle it over her food)

She goes next to the box instead of in it because she blames the box for her discomfort.

Has food allergy been considered?

Gail

not without checking with your vet!

The vet never mentioned the posibility of a food allergy. What would be the best food for her if she has a food allergy?
    I don't like crating her, I feel bad. I only crate her at night or when we will be out for a long period of time.

Brzee was peeing out of the box for month and also having very loose stools, and I thought he was just behaving badly. Turns out he had a bad e-coli infection. When the diarrhea came back much worse (and he also did some right outside the box, but I was thinking he couldn't help it), I took him back. The vet didn't find anything wrong, but gave him this new prescription food and the diarrhea cleared up in a few days.

He is still peeing outside the box, and I think it is because he associates the box with pain. He likes to pee on paper, so I finally gave in and gave him a litter box with newspaper inside. He is using that. My friend's cat, in her later years, would only pee on newspaper though she pooped in the box (as Brzee does).

It's always a challenge to figure out what's wrong.

Teresa

R/D is that the food that cleared him up? I will call my vet on monday and see if I can try that. My cat has had loose stools her whole life. When I got her the breeder said she had loose stools but said she used the litter box. But she doesn't always use the litter box and sometimes she has more problems than other times. I got her when she was 1 she is 4 now. There was a time when she had blood in it. That's when the vet did all the blood work on her and found nothing wrong.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast