Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: how can I get my dog to leave the cat alone?

Exclamation how can I get my dog to leave the cat alone?

I adopted a corgi puppy last year and a month later rescued a kitten. they are now a year old and do like each other. however, when they play, my dog sometimes gets too rough. the cat has never been injured and doesn't seem to mind sometimes, but occasionally hisses or runs to get away. we tell our dog "no" when she goes after him, but she doesn't listen too well. she will stop but then go after him a few moments later.
    if anyone has any tips, i would love to hear them!

Hi,

How much have you taught the puppy so far? What I would work on with the puppy is a really good down and a really good 'hup' command. Hup for Spaniels is taught as a stop in your tracks & wait for the next command.

If you can teach your puppy to drop quickly, then you can call to the dog, "Drop" or "Down!" so that it stops going after the cat.

Also, when you've given the command to stop & leave the cat alone, you might reward the puppy by throwing a ball for it, so that it has both a reward and (ah ha!) a distraction. Distractions will help get it to turn off of chasing cats. If that doesn't seem to help, we have other suggestions, but try that out & let us know.
    Kim Laird,Senior Manager
    The Pets Forums Management Team

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 30 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 30 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

We enrolled her in puppy school awhile back and she knows how to sit, shake, and lay. to get her to lay, you have to put the food in front of her nose and put it down to the ground while saying the command. she is pretty good with "No" but we haven't been offering a reward for her leaving the cat alone, so i will definitely try that.
    she is a very hyper and barky dog, and she seems to get jealous when you give the cat attention. she always goes right for him if you try to hug or pet him. i would love to break her of that b/c i also seeing her do that type of thing when i hug my husband.

Ahhh, puppies and cats, have them both. First, it is good that the cat has a place to get away from the dog when he's had enough. Cats themselves do play very rough, so it may not be as hard on the cat as it looks. Has the cat bit or scratched the dog, have you heard any yelps from the cat?

Perhaps one of my cats should talk to yours. LOL They have had the indignity of living with a puppy for the past 5 months, she is now 5 mos. old, and much to their dismay she grew big enough to follow them up onto the couch, the bed etc. But, they do enjoy their game time as it seems to take a lot before they disappear. They are all declawed on the front, but have discovered that her ears make a good target, she has big Corgi like ears, and occasionally I'll see one trying to connect with an ear or hear a yelp from Cricket (the pup) which distracts her a bit, but not for long.

When Cricket and a sibling was still here, the cats were outnumbered, 2 dogs/1 cat at a time and then I used a spray bottle filled with water to squirt the pups when they got too rough or the cat couldn't get away. With one, it hasn't been used as much as the cats can take care of her.

So, try a squirt bottle and a firm "NO" and squirt her when she seems to be tormenting the cat too much. But, if the cat has had enough he will get away and hide.

Keep working on the commands.

I hear you on the dog that doesn't want you to pay attention to anything else. You may need to work on that, but I'll need to think about solutions.... including teaching the dog not to bark at you. (barking or pushing you?)
    Kim Laird,Senior Manager

Quote Originally Posted by nmr1279
    I adopted a corgi puppy last year and a month later rescued a kitten. they are now a year old and do like each other. however, when they play, my dog sometimes gets too rough. the cat has never been injured and doesn't seem to mind sometimes, but occasionally hisses or runs to get away. we tell our dog "no" when she goes after him, but she doesn't listen too well. she will stop but then go after him a few moments later.
    if anyone has any tips, i would love to hear them!
    We have two days and a cat, the sheltie loves to play with Prissy our cat and Prissy loves the game too. I wouldn't worry to much about the activity, when you cat has had enough, I am pretty sure he can defend himself. <g>
    KathyY

You guys are right....my cat could get away if he wanted to but most of the time doesn't try. i only occasionally hear him hiss or make any noise...sometimes my dog yelps when the cat gives it back. they haven't hurt each other at all, i guess i am just overprotective.

my dog is big on barking. sometimes it is just like she is talking back - we tell her no and she gives us a look and a bark. and if my husband and i try to hug, say we are on the couch, she will come right up, get on the back of the couch, try to stand on us and a lot of the time will bark her head off. maybe that is just the corgi in her...not sure!

overall, it is one big happy family, but i just wanted to see what you guys thought about the constant play fighting.
    thanks!

All I know is that dogs and cats usually end up getting on OK. As long as the cat has somewhere to jump up on to get away from the dog, it should be fine. I don't think the dog will go on chasing the cat for ever.

Hissing, we hear a lot of hissing when the puppy and the cat(s) play. But, as noted before the cats can always get away from the dog so if they choose to stay and "play" with the puppy one would assume that despite their "complaints" they are enjoying it because you know a cat won't stay or do anything he doesn't want to.
    As a seasoned mom, so long as there isn't any bloodshed, I don't intervene. LOL

The one thing that really helps, is discouraging the dog from chasing the cat. The cat will behave in ways to entice the dog to chase, however, so....

But I would at least intervene when you feel enough is enough. Corgis don't always know when to back off.. that's a part of their personality!
    Kim Laird,Senior Manager

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast