Thread: Stop an old cat from pooping on the floor

Default Stop an old cat from pooping on the floor

I own a 13 year old cat and she has been not using the litter box at all. It has been damaging our floor and our marriage with the utterly outroucious pungent odor. It has been embedded on the walls and the smell reaks like a dumpster. Now the wooden floor has been rotting and we do not know what to do. Could it be a problem with the litter box or is it just a result of old age. Many people have told me to put it to sleep but I do NOT want to that.

When my friend's cat was old, she created a large litter area for her out of a big old box that covered one side of the room and was lined with plastic. The litter area included a litter box, which the cat used for pooping, and old newspapers on the rest of it, which she used for peeing. It might be worth a try. They also put plastic on the floor of the rest of the room, just in case, but the cat mostly used her litter area.

Teresa

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 30 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 30 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

All right, if avoidance is for both "businesses", it is more likely to be a litter box issue, and I have posted a link. If only one, a medical issue to likely to be the culprit, as the cat experiences pain in going, and since the pain is experienced in the litter box, avoidance happens.

Arthritis can be a culprit, expecially with defecation but constipation or impacted anal glands are the major issues, and for urinary problems it is infection. Not too common that both medical issues hit at once. But a vet trip is advised.

For litter box issues: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/19859148...th-pet_health/

Hi and welcome to the forum! I'm glad you've come here with your question and not listened to the people who are telling you to put the cat to sleep.

I first have a few questions. Is this cat pooping, peeing, or both on your floor? Is this a new behavior? And the most important question, have you taken her to the vet to see if she is ill? Cats are normally fastidious. The most common reason for a cat to break litter box training is because of illness. If she has a urinary tract infection it will hurt her to pee, and she blames the box for this pain, so she doesn't use the box. Same goes for pooping -- if she's constipated and it hurst to go, she'll blame the box. So, you MUST take her to the vet for a thorough checkup.

After illness is ruled out we can address other issues, and there can be many -- have there been changes in your house, such as a family member coming to live there or leave, new baby, new pets such as other cats or a dog? Have you changed the kind of litter you use or moved the box to a location she may not like, such as a busy traffic area where she can't get privacy? I'm sure others will chime in here with other ideas, but in the meantime, pick up the phone and make an appointment with your vet if you haven't already done so! Please get back to us, we really care about you and your kitty!
    Diane and Cicero - Sr. Manager
    :

Well there is a new kitten in the house but she has been pooping on the floor ever since. She only poops on the floor but pees appropriately in the litter box.

Quote Originally Posted by kaligleean View Post
    Well there is a new kitten in the house but she has been pooping on the floor ever since. She only poops on the floor but pees appropriately in the litter box.
    Did she start pooping on the floor when the kitten arrived? How long has it been. Is she constipated? I really do suggest a vet check as the first step.
    Diane and Cicero - Sr. Manager
    :

Quote Originally Posted by kaligleean View Post
    She only poops on the floor but pees appropriately in the litter box.
    That is almost a guarantee that there is a medical issue involved.

I agree that medical issues should be ruled out first, and your senior cat needs a complete check up including blood work and a urinalysis.

As mentioned constipation can cause a cat to avoid the box, and constipation can be caused by many things including arthritis and kidney disease, or even just because a box is not kept clean enough.

Many cats do not like to share litter boxes, or even do the same business in the same box. With two cats you need to have at least three litter boxes. If your cat has been doing this a long time, it may simply be because she has wanted another litter box all these years. She wants one to pee in and one to poop in, and now, with another cat, the problem is even worse, having to share her bathroom with the baby.

So do get her in for a senior check up, but also add a couple more litter boxes, and be sure to keep them very clean. Scoop at least twice a day, cats hate dirty litter boxes and many will refuse to use a dirty box.

Please let us know how things turn out after the vet visit, and adding boxes.

Gail