Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Precious Ingested 1/4 to 1 teaspoon of muscle rub and I thought she'd die!

Exclamation Precious Ingested 1/4 to 1 teaspoon of muscle rub and I thought she'd die!

Hey everyone. I just had the most terrifying experience of my entire life with my beloved cat, Precious! I was putting muscle rub on my severely injured foot and I accidentally got some on the floor. Well, I forgot to clean it up. Unfortunately, Precious loves the smell of menthol which this had in it and she ingested some. Almost immediately she growled, hissed, started drooling excessively, and threw up. I think she even pawed at her mouth some. Well, she only threw up a small amount but it was enough to worry me. I called a few poison control centers for animals and none of them would either answer the phone, provide me an answer other than to take her to a veterinary hospital, or try to charge me money. The first lady really pissed me off so I hung up on her and finally remembered the emergency vet number on my phone. I immediately called it and they said she'd be fine but to rinse her mouth out with 4-5 animal sized syringes of water. I tried this but only got most of 1 in her mouth before she began to get violent with me. It didn't help matters that I was petrified, panicking, and irritated all to hell. It also didn't help matters that out of my irritation, I accidentally yelled at her to stop fighting me. Thankfully, I did finally get some in her mouth.

Now, she's sort of hiding behind the side of my desk and is watching me closely. I know she hates receiving any sort of "medicine" even though I try to calm her down and she's received it several times in her life. She's just like a small child when it comes to medicine unfortunately as are most cats.

Anyway, thankfully she has stopped drooling, throwing up, and is fine now. The emergency vet simply told me to take her to the vet tomorrow if she wouldn't eat. I suspect she'll drink a lot of water now because she'll want to rinse her mouth out. But yeah, she's eating right now thankfully!

The Active Ingredients of this muscle rub are 4% Camphor, 10% Menthol, and 30% Methyl Salicylate. Thankfully, these are not toxic to a cat according to the emergency vet although it obviously caused intense irritation of her mouth.

But yeah, I tell you, I seriously was petrified that she'd die within minutes or before I could drive her to the emergency veterinarian hospital which is 40 miles away! I've never been so petrified in my life for my beloved Precious!

Thankfully, she is fine now and she recovered remarkably fast! I am so thankful to God!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 30 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I love my Precious kitty cat!

Oh boy What a scary time you have had. Tolly did that once, too, ate Vicks vaporub as he cannot resist the smell of camphor.

He did like Precious foaming at the mouth, copious drooling, running around like the banshees were after him. When he finally stopped running I checked him over, but didn't realize he had some on his paw too, and of course he started to wash his face, and it started all over again. Horrible time.

I'm sure Precious will be okay, but she may be more wary of camphor unguents now, I know Tolly is. He still comes running when I use Vicks, but he is very careful to only sniff, and not lick.

Gail

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 30 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

In the land of Microsoft, mocha, and language...we brake for Starbucks.

That is scary! I'm so glad she's eating--she'll probably be okay and at least you know what it was she got into!

There are always so many things to remember with our furbabies. We have problems with them trying to steal my husband's hairties--the round elastic covered ones. If he forgets to put the lid on the jar they're in, the bathroom floor gets COVERED in them. I am always terrified they're going to swallow one.

Yazza
    Yasmine; Staff: Your First Cat.
    I love the smell of espresso in the morning.

NYT, USA Today, and Publishers Weekly Bestselling urban fantasy author

I miss all my Rainbow Bridge Gurlz...love to Luna ,
    Keeter ,
    Tara
    , Circe

That must have been a horrifying situation. I thought my dog licked anti freeze on the driveway once, and I was a wreck too. I called an emergency vet and they told me even if she did it wouldn't be enough to affect her.

I'm glad Precious is ok.
    Jill Gallo /Manager

The Petsforums Management Team

Reminds me of the time Sadie licked hair remover (like Nair, but it wasn't that brand) off of my legs when she was still a tiny puppy - I had just covered my legs with that gunk and she walks up and licked me - TWICE! And she was so sick - at first she was ok, but about two hours later she had a very upset tummy. I hauled her and the bottle of hair remover off to the vet!! She was fine - it just scared the heck out of us and gave her an upset tummy for a couple of days.

-Mary
    --------------------------------
    Mary
    (with Tilly
    and Sadie and Elsie) Their album is

Tilly's videos are

How scary! I'm glad she's okay -- eating is probably the best thing for her as the food will absorb any residue of the stuff left in her mouth or stomach, and will help to take that nasty taste out of her mouth. I think that's the worst part of it all, how nasty it must have tasted to her!
    Diane and Cicero - Sr. Manager
    :

Quote Originally Posted by GailS View Post
    Oh boy What a scary time you have had. Tolly did that once, too, ate Vicks vaporub as he cannot resist the smell of camphor.

He did like Precious foaming at the mouth, copious drooling, running around like the banshees were after him. When he finally stopped running I checked him over, but didn't realize he had some on his paw too, and of course he started to wash his face, and it started all over again. Horrible time.

I'm sure Precious will be okay, but she may be more wary of camphor unguents now, I know Tolly is. He still comes running when I use Vicks, but he is very careful to only sniff, and not lick.

Gail
    Yeah, I think it is the menthol that attracts Precious. Not sure though. She does like Vicks Vaborub too. All I know is she acts like she's high when she smells that stuff!

Quote Originally Posted by Yasmine View Post
    That is scary! I'm so glad she's eating--she'll probably be okay and at least you know what it was she got into!

There are always so many things to remember with our furbabies. We have problems with them trying to steal my husband's hairties--the round elastic covered ones. If he forgets to put the lid on the jar they're in, the bathroom floor gets COVERED in them. I am always terrified they're going to swallow one.

Yazza
    Yeah, she has always had this fascination with this particular scent. I honestly don't know why either. lol

Quote Originally Posted by JGallo View Post
    That must have been a horrifying situation. I thought my dog licked anti freeze on the driveway once, and I was a wreck too. I called an emergency vet and they told me even if she did it wouldn't be enough to affect her.

I'm glad Precious is ok.
    Yeah, I was panicking big time! Thankfully, she's perfectly fine now!

Quote Originally Posted by MaryH View Post
    Reminds me of the time Sadie licked hair remover (like Nair, but it wasn't that brand) off of my legs when she was still a tiny puppy - I had just covered my legs with that gunk and she walks up and licked me - TWICE! And she was so sick - at first she was ok, but about two hours later she had a very upset tummy. I hauled her and the bottle of hair remover off to the vet!! She was fine - it just scared the heck out of us and gave her an upset tummy for a couple of days.

-Mary
    Oh my! Hair remover sounds much more dangerous than muscle rub!

Quote Originally Posted by DianeP View Post
    How scary! I'm glad she's okay -- eating is probably the best thing for her as the food will absorb any residue of the stuff left in her mouth or stomach, and will help to take that nasty taste out of her mouth. I think that's the worst part of it all, how nasty it must have tasted to her!
    Yeah, I'm glad she's okay too. She didn't throw up but one single time thankfully!

Anyway everyone, sorry it took me so long to get back to you all. I've been very busy trying to fix my computer. It had a trojan on it and it took 3 weeks to fix!!!!!! I was able to fix it on my own though with some minor help on the side. I thought the thing would NEVER be fixed! Part of the problem was that this was one of those rare "in the wild" trojans that had never been detected before so there was no removal tool for it. I lost ALL my backups too cause the trojan managed to infect them as well. The thing seemed fairly harmless as it caused no problems, it was probably just there to steal my private data like credit card info. Thankfully, I had no such thing on my PC at the time. I did have to reset a ton of passwords though. Also, it's possible that this trojan was there to retrieve more viruses and such to attack my PC with. It was called "nuke grabber". Needless to say, I am free of it now and have installed a good anti-virus to prevent it from happening again!

What a royal pain you had with that trojan horse. I'm glad you didn't have any credit card numbers or the like on your puter.
    Karen A/Publicist

Quote Originally Posted by ZooGirl02 View Post
    Yeah, I think it is the menthol that attracts Precious. Not sure though. She does like Vicks Vaborub too. All I know is she acts like she's high when she smells that stuff!

Yeah, she has always had this fascination with this particular scent. I honestly don't know why either. lol

Yeah, I was panicking big time! Thankfully, she's perfectly fine now!

Oh my! Hair remover sounds much more dangerous than muscle rub!

Yeah, I'm glad she's okay too. She didn't throw up but one single time thankfully!

Anyway everyone, sorry it took me so long to get back to you all. I've been very busy trying to fix my computer. It had a trojan on it and it took 3 weeks to fix!!!!!! I was able to fix it on my own though with some minor help on the side. I thought the thing would NEVER be fixed! Part of the problem was that this was one of those rare "in the wild" trojans that had never been detected before so there was no removal tool for it. I lost ALL my backups too cause the trojan managed to infect them as well. The thing seemed fairly harmless as it caused no problems, it was probably just there to steal my private data like credit card info. Thankfully, I had no such thing on my PC at the time. I did have to reset a ton of passwords though. Also, it's possible that this trojan was there to retrieve more viruses and such to attack my PC with. It was called "nuke grabber". Needless to say, I am free of it now and have installed a good anti-virus to prevent it from happening again!
    Glad you're back!
    Diane and Cicero - Sr. Manager
    :

Quote Originally Posted by KarenA View Post
    What a royal pain you had with that trojan horse. I'm glad you didn't have any credit card numbers or the like on your puter.
    Yeah me too!

Quote Originally Posted by DianeP View Post
    Glad you're back!
    Thanks!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast