Hey everyone. I just had the most terrifying experience of my entire life with my beloved cat, Precious! I was putting muscle rub on my severely injured foot and I accidentally got some on the floor. Well, I forgot to clean it up. Unfortunately, Precious loves the smell of menthol which this had in it and she ingested some. Almost immediately she growled, hissed, started drooling excessively, and threw up. I think she even pawed at her mouth some. Well, she only threw up a small amount but it was enough to worry me. I called a few poison control centers for animals and none of them would either answer the phone, provide me an answer other than to take her to a veterinary hospital, or try to charge me money. The first lady really pissed me off so I hung up on her and finally remembered the emergency vet number on my phone. I immediately called it and they said she'd be fine but to rinse her mouth out with 4-5 animal sized syringes of water. I tried this but only got most of 1 in her mouth before she began to get violent with me. It didn't help matters that I was petrified, panicking, and irritated all to hell. It also didn't help matters that out of my irritation, I accidentally yelled at her to stop fighting me. Thankfully, I did finally get some in her mouth.
Now, she's sort of hiding behind the side of my desk and is watching me closely. I know she hates receiving any sort of "medicine" even though I try to calm her down and she's received it several times in her life. She's just like a small child when it comes to medicine unfortunately as are most cats.
Anyway, thankfully she has stopped drooling, throwing up, and is fine now. The emergency vet simply told me to take her to the vet tomorrow if she wouldn't eat. I suspect she'll drink a lot of water now because she'll want to rinse her mouth out. But yeah, she's eating right now thankfully!
The Active Ingredients of this muscle rub are 4% Camphor, 10% Menthol, and 30% Methyl Salicylate. Thankfully, these are not toxic to a cat according to the emergency vet although it obviously caused intense irritation of her mouth.
But yeah, I tell you, I seriously was petrified that she'd die within minutes or before I could drive her to the emergency veterinarian hospital which is 40 miles away! I've never been so petrified in my life for my beloved Precious!
Thankfully, she is fine now and she recovered remarkably fast! I am so thankful to God!