Thread: odorless pee?

Default odorless pee?

Hello all -
    One of my five is peeing outside the box, and in large amounts. Fortunately, so far, it has been on a cement floor in the basement - but the reason I didn't notice it is because there's hardly any smell to it.
    This is totally new. I have 6 boxes for 5 cats, and it has worked pretty well.
    I'll be moving a watering station upstairs so I can notice who's drinking lots of water.
    I can't remember what large amts of pee means.

Thx -
    宝妮
    Bonnie in central WI

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 30 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 30 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Large pees can mean kidney failure or diabetes. I hope you can narrow it down pretty fast. Keep us posted.

Cat urine has a strong odor since it normally is very concentrated. So odorless urine means very dilute, so it suggests a kidney issue. Could be diabetes or something else.

Quote Originally Posted by bjbouwer View Post
    Hello all -
    One of my five is peeing outside the box, and in large amounts. Fortunately, so far, it has been on a cement floor in the basement - but the reason I didn't notice it is because there's hardly any smell to it.
    This is totally new. I have 6 boxes for 5 cats, and it has worked pretty well.
    I'll be moving a watering station upstairs so I can notice who's drinking lots of water.
    I can't remember what large amts of pee means.

Thx -
    Odorless pee usually means it isn't concentrated ... happens with diabetes and renal failure. Other things may cause it but those are the two I'm most familiar with.
    Marci DeLisle
    Cats/Rescue, Feral and Stray
    Camp Counselor at Camp Happy Cat
    Owner of NW Critter Sitter - "Paws-itively Purr-fect Pet-sitting"
    Owner of Northwind Reiki ~Animal Reiki for the fur-persons in your life!

I've had cats in the past with diabetes and renal failure - I remember really bad breathe went along with one of these problems. That's not the case with any of the five. I'm going to take Sam in, since he's the one who came to me with urinary tract problems and requires a special diet. He's also the oldest. If I catch someone else drinking lots of water, they'll go in with Sam.

Thanks for the ideas - I'll keep you posted.
    宝妮
    Bonnie in central WI

Ootay had kidney failure for three years. She never had bad breath. Bad breath usually starts when the kidneys are about done.

Ketosis is bad breath from diabetes I think but I don't know much about feline diabetes

And of course, every cat is different. I was just coming back to suggest that if you can't nail it down in a day or two to just start with the oldest cat (bringing to the vet for blood work and UA) and work your way down.

Bonnie, did I miss something? Who is cat # 5?

<edit> okay I found Raja's introduction thread. Tsk, we haven't heard nearly enough since then. And she is missing from your sig. You better get back into jail, after you figure out who needs the vet.

Gail

Yeah I was thinking it might be diabetes as well. I did a little research on that a while back when I thought Precious might have it.

I love my Precious kitty cat!