Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Queen Eva and the stink bug

Default Queen Eva and the stink bug

Those stink bugs make my skin crawl and when I see one I do everything in my power to capture it and flush it before it has a chance to release it's stink.

Mazy is very good at pointing them out to me without disturbing them, but Queen Eva has not yet learned.....until maybe today.

I saw her stalking something, so of course I went over to see what she was up to. Just as I got there she reached out her paw and patted the bug (before I could stop her).

It was a tentative pat, but it was enough. After the pat she stuck her nose down to smell it, and her recoil was....hilarious. Usually I am shuddering too hard to get any kind of amusement out of a stink bug, but Queen Eva's wrinkled nose look of disgust was too much for me, I collapsed in laughter even before hurrying to remove it.

Now though, delayed reaction has set in and my scalp is crawling in memory of seeing and smelling the disgusting thing.

Gail

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 30 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Now the question is, did you get rid of that offensive bug? Is there any way to trap the things? I've seen some bug traps for inside the house in garden catalogs. These have finely ground eggshells in them that supposedly "drown" bugs, but I think they are for particular ones, like the Asian ladybug.

I'm glad that the only thing we have is those but they come out in droves in the fall. They stink and they sting when caught. The cats never bothered those, fortunately. They were worse out at the farm. Would drive the horses nuts flying into their noses.

Sally
    Sally, Horses staff

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 30 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I use the Asian Lady Beetle traps, they work great and have saved my sanity. (My thanks again to Calico for alerting me to the existence of these traps a few years ago)

there isn't anything like that, yet, for the stink bugs. Some years are worse than others, this year I'm only getting about two a week, or fewer, of the stink bugs. (they come in twos, meaning if you see one, there is another somewhere)

Since it had already released it's stink I held my breath, scooped it up with a tissue and flushed it down the toilet. <<shudder shudder>>

Gail

Quote Originally Posted by GailS View Post
    I use the Asian Lady Beetle traps, they work great and have saved my sanity. (My thanks again to Calico for alerting me to the existence of these traps a few years ago)

there isn't anything like that, yet, for the stink bugs. Some years are worse than others, this year I'm only getting about two a week, or fewer, of the stink bugs. (they come in twos, meaning if you see one, there is another somewhere)

Since it had already released it's stink I held my breath, scooped it up with a tissue and flushed it down the toilet. <<shudder shudder>>

Gail
    I've heard of stink bugs, but luckily they don't seem to be around here. Are these some kind of local invasion?

Sally
    Sally, Horses staff

Sally, I know CalicoKitty gets them in droves in the fall season, but he gets a different kind, there are many. The ones that come here (and I can feel the hair raising on my neck just talking about them) are a bit larger than those, and brown. Two long antennae like a cricket but beetle legs.

They don't come in droves, the stink bugs come just two at a time

However like Calico's stink bugs, my stink bugs emit a foul odor when threatened. Plus you don't want to swat them, not just because of the odor, but because they are...gross when squished.

( I get the droves of Asian Lady Beetles instead, the south and west walls outside of the house plastered with them in mid fall, then inside all winter and most of spring)

The stink bugs kind of glide through the air rather than fly, but there is a slight buzzing sound so they must be flying.

UUGH!

Gail

I think you get the marmorated asian stink beetle like everyone else gets.

http://insects.about.com/od/truebugs/p/Hhalys.htm

It came into Pennsylvania as a hitchhiker in goods from China. There is another infestation along the West Coast. They have no natural enemies, nor is there a pesticide that works.

My defense is a flyswatter, although they were not as bad at my house as they were last year.

Even though I have no idea of how they get in the house, they certainly do. Imagine going up to bed to see one crawling across the bedspread.

The bed spread, yes. Like I said these kind come in twos, and when I see one, I don't rest until the other appears, usually within 24 hours of the first, but sometimes longer.

Queen Eva's bug's counterpart appeared late Wednesday night. I was still reading with the light on, but was at that falling asleep stage where I would start to snore because of my position reading the book, which would wake me enough reach up and turn off the light, and roll over.

Then I heard a crash in the other room, so of course got up to investigate (some books knocked over in a Chase Me Chase You Game) and when I came back to bed the thing was on the pillow. Gah, I can't write this without shuddering. Talk about things happening for a reason. I was very grateful to Mazy and Queen Eva for the clatter.

Gail

Quote Originally Posted by calicokitty View Post
    I think you get the marmorated asian stink beetle like everyone else gets.

http://insects.about.com/od/truebugs/p/Hhalys.htm
    That's not the ones I get.

It's more like this one, the first pic (to the left) shown and it's an inch long, eerrrggh

http://www.dpughphoto.com/stink_bugs

Well, being they are that big, it is easier for your cats to get them! <ggg>

Gail:
    Those are ugly critters, even w/o th stinky part. I wouldn't want them crawlling on my bed, either. <yuck>

Sally
    Sally, Horses staff

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast