Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Coconut Oil for hairballs

Default Coconut Oil for hairballs

After hesitating and reading and reading and hesitating some more, I'm going to try coconut oil for hair ball control for my cats. According to everything I've read, coconut oil has a plethora of benefits, including helping with diabetes, thyroid disease, arthritis, weight control and as mentioned, hair balls.

It's good for the coat, soothing to the throat, improves nutrient absorption and does not have to be given on an empty stomach (and waiting 2 hours to feed, after, besides)

Supposedly most cats like it.

The coconut oil should be "extra virgin" organic, which is what I have ordered. As many of you know, Tolly has a terrible time with hair balls, becoming very ill on a regular basis, in spite of my efforts at controlling them, and his sicknesses are becoming more and more frequent.

This time of year is when I start to reduce the frequency of the hair ball remedy doses (Tolly and Mazy get it every other day from April through October). As I cut back on the hair ball gunk I will start adding the coconut oil (I hope). I'm just so tired of putting that nasty gunk in their systems so often, and of course they hate it too (with the exception of Queen Eva, LOL)

And, it might help with Jennie's constipation.

It's supposed to be good for me, too.

Gail

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 30 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Good luck with it -- let us know how it works. My cousin swears by coconut oil for everything. I've heard it cures about every ailment known to man, and of course whenever I hear such extensive claims for anything I wonder. But it's oil, so it most likely will work for hairballs.
    Diane and Cicero - Sr. Manager
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 30 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    :

I'm the same way Diane, very skeptical of things that make such wondrous claims. But I'm just fed up with shoving this hairball junk down Tolly's and Mazy's throats so often. It's not expensive, it can't hurt and it might help. So on we go.

I'll be sure to report back.

Gail

Interesting. I finally have a clowder that seems to really like the hairball medicine. No shoving except by them to get at the tube of it and lick it off.
    Karen A/Publicist

Please let us know Gail. A couple of our boy cats could probably use this. And it just so happens to be the two with the thyroid issues.
    Take care,
    Mary.

Quote Originally Posted by KarenA View Post
    Interesting. I finally have a clowder that seems to really like the hairball medicine. No shoving except by them to get at the tube of it and lick it off.

Well Tolly, as of just now, is sick again, (less than four weeks since the last one) and I just have a bad feeling about giving him so much of that stuff now. His liver is so delicate. Every other day dosing seems to keep the flare ups to every five weeks, but I was trying to reduce the doses to every two days, and just one missed day has brought the illness on. So say a prayer that he will eat the coconut oil and that it will help him, because I am at my wits end.

I keep thinking I am resigned to these illnesses of his, but it takes it's toll not just on him, but on me too. Not just the worry over him either, but the work involved. Cleaning the carpets, because of vomit and tracked diarrhea, the constant cleaning of the litter boxes, giving him the sub q fluids, (which he does not allow willingly) worry worry worry. I'm not complaining, I don't begrudge the work, though it is hard on me, it is what it is, but if I can find a way to make it easier on me, I could use the respite.

All the hair ball stuff has artificial things in it. For a healthy cat, maybe not a big deal, but for Tolly, it can't be good. And he hates it. He's a lamb about taking it, but oh how he hates it.

Quote Originally Posted by mduros View Post
    Please let us know Gail. A couple of our boy cats could probably use this. And it just so happens to be the two with the thyroid issues.
    Take care,
    Mary.
    I will certainly be reporting the results of this experiment, Mary. I'm trying not to get my hopes too high. I've been mulling over trying this for a long time.

Gail

I hope he will take to the coconut oil. If you rub it on him he will get a nice suntan!!
    Would plain vaseline work?
    Karen A/Publicist

Quote Originally Posted by KarenA View Post
    I hope he will take to the coconut oil. If you rub it on him he will get a nice suntan!!
    Would plain vaseline work?
    I have discussed Vaseline with my vet, and she says no. Even though the active ingredient in most hairball remedies is similar, she is adamant that Vaseline is not made to be ingested.

Poor Tolly wasn't even able to keep a dose of laxatone down, when I got home from work. Queen Eva is beside herself, fretting over Tolly, as he is sitting in an unusual spot. I'm glad he's staying here in the main room with us, it's a good sign that he isn't hiding in his Safe/Sick Spot.

The coconut oil can be used for scrapes and cuts, put on the fur or skin. It is also, so I've read, good for constipation, and repels fleas!

Here is a picture of Tolly I just took. The fact that he is sitting somewhere where I can see him feeling sorry for himself is encouraging. I turned the heat on tonight because it is a cold damp night, and he's found a warm spot where he can see and be seen.

Aww, I hope he feels better soon. I think he should be in that box instead of laying next to it.
    Jill Gallo /Manager

The Petsforums Management Team

Quote Originally Posted by GailS View Post
    I have discussed Vaseline with my vet, and she says no. Even though the active ingredient in most hairball remedies is similar, she is adamant that Vaseline is not made to be ingested.

Poor Tolly wasn't even able to keep a dose of laxatone down, when I got home from work. Queen Eva is beside herself, fretting over Tolly, as he is sitting in an unusual spot. I'm glad he's staying here in the main room with us, it's a good sign that he isn't hiding in his Safe/Sick Spot.

The coconut oil can be used for scrapes and cuts, put on the fur or skin. It is also, so I've read, good for constipation, and repels fleas!

Here is a picture of Tolly I just took. The fact that he is sitting somewhere where I can see him feeling sorry for himself is encouraging. I turned the heat on tonight because it is a cold damp night, and he's found a warm spot where he can see and be seen.
    The problem with Vaseline is that it's not food grade and so shouldn't be eaten. Gail, what kind of coconut oil did you get? Pill, or liquid, or...? Where'd you get it? I'm interested in it for Cicero for his constipation. As you know, he gets a dose of mineral oil every day, and while there have so far been absolutely no problems with that, I've always wished for something better for him.
    Diane and Cicero - Sr. Manager
    :

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast