Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: when does the kitten stage mellow out?

Question when does the kitten stage mellow out?

Not a big deal but i am curious to get an idea when The kitten bug will chill. The constant wanting To play, wrestle and be crazy. Everything is a toy to Our cat. Doesnt bother me but her other roomates Get annoyed with certain things she keeps doing. I like playing with her and its funny but...

In the land of Microsoft, mocha, and language...we brake for Starbucks.

I've got three of them who are 3.5, 3.5, and almost 3. And an 18.5 year old. The babies still haven't mellowed out and probably won't for a couple years. Everything will continue to be a toy for your cat for a long, long time.

Yasmine
    Yasmine; Staff: Your First Cat.
    I love the smell of espresso in the morning.
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 30 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

NYT, USA Today, and Publishers Weekly Bestselling urban fantasy author
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 30 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I miss all my Rainbow Bridge Gurlz...love to Meerclar,
    Luna ,
    Keeter ,
    Tara
    , Circe

Cats are individuals, and it often depends on the breed or breed mix of your cat as to when she'll mellow. Most cats do enjoy playing and romping well into their teenage years but do become calmer. One way to deal with the problem is to give her scheduled playtimes with an interactive toy such as a wand toy two or three times a day -- but NEVER, ever let her play with your hands as a toy, and make sure your roomies don't either. To do so just invites her to become a "bitey" cat since she won't be able to distinguish your body parts from her toys. How old is she now? BTW, getting her spayed will calm her down considerably.
    Diane and Cicero - Sr. Manager
    :

For what it's worth, although she will probably never completely stop playing, most cats of my acquaintance mellow out considerably at about two-three years old.

Cassy
    Cassy
    and Sebastian-da-Ninja-Kittee
    Staff - Cat Care & Behavior
    Roving Staff - Cats Forums

Quote Originally Posted by CasCat View Post
    For what it's worth, although she will probably never completely stop playing, most cats of my acquaintance mellow out considerably at about two-three years old.

Cassy
    ROFL...yah, Caly, Brighid and Morgan have yet to show signs of that. They're the terrible trio. Meerclar just watches them race by. LOL

Yazza

Luna ,
    Keeter ,
    Tara
    , Circe

Quote Originally Posted by Yasmine View Post
    ROFL...yah, Caly, Brighid and Morgan have yet to show signs of that. They're the terrible trio. Meerclar just watches them race by. LOL

Yazza
    Dante's about 18 months old, and he's no longer boucy-bouncy-race-race-snore, like he was. (He had two speeds; all-ahead-full and off.) He still loves to play and pester his big brother, but he's not quite so... um... ADD about life as he was. He can actually sit in a lap for more than five minutes without getting up and repositioning himself. <grin>

Cassy
    Cassy

Quote Originally Posted by CasCat View Post
    For what it's worth, although she will probably never completely stop playing, most cats of my acquaintance mellow out considerably at about two-three years old.Cassy
    everyone ive known who had adult cats were mellow. But I am sure they used to be crazy kittens. Maybe there is No general expectation of when they mellow out.

I have three cats - one is six years old and the kittens (litter mates) are three. You wouldn't know they were all adult or teen aged cats at some points when they are thundering around the house like lunatics
    Karen A/Publicist

Quote Originally Posted by stray_cat View Post
    everyone ive known who had adult cats were mellow. But I am sure they used to be crazy kittens. Maybe there is No general expectation of when they mellow out.
    It really does depend on the cat. They're all as individual in personality as people. My 18 year old began to mellow out around 12 or so, although she still had her moments of racing around the house till the past year or so. But she still plays, on occasion, even now.

Yasmine

Luna ,
    Keeter ,
    Tara
    , Circe

Quote Originally Posted by Yasmine View Post
    It really does depend on the cat. They're all as individual in personality as people. My 18 year old began to mellow out around 12 or so, although she still had her moments of racing around the house till the past year or so. But she still plays, on occasion, even now.

Yasmine
    I should perhaps define my terms better; when I say "mellow out" I don't mean "stop playing entirely" -- I mean "doesn't play constantly when not asleep". <grin> Even my 19-1/2 year old cat would sometimes thunder around the house like a lunatic, arthritis and all... But kittens have ADD; they just don't stop. Whereas after about two or three, my cats decided that Sitting Quietly In A Lap was a Good Thing. (Dante thinks it's a good thing, but he's only 18 months and he just can't manage sitting still for more than about twenty minutes... <grin>)

Cassy
    Cassy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast