Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dog ate raw bone, has constipation and diarrhea....

Default Dog ate raw bone, has constipation and diarrhea....

Hi

My dog ate a whole uncooked chicken leg about a week ago with only a couple of chews and I don't think she broke the bone at all.

Since then she has alternated between diarrhea and constipation and has poo-ed inside 3 x after straining outside. She has never done this before. I rang the vets and got the weekend service and they told me to observe her and if it got worse to call back.

It hasn't got worse but it hasn't got better either. She is only eating yummy food, not her usual diet, ie stole the cats food which is normally off limits. She is drinking but less I think.

I am looking for advice on what I should do.

Will it pass, will be bone be digested or should I insist the vet takes a look now, or monday morning which is 18 hours away here.

My dog is laying down quietly which is normal for her but animals can hide pain better than humans past experience tells me.

Thanks.

Hi and welcome to the forum! Is your dog normally fed a raw diet, meaning she is used to digesting raw bone? Is she a small dog or a large dog? How old is she? How often does she eat the cat's food?

I am of the "let's not wait and see" type, if I am concerned about something, I would probably insist on seeing the vet if she is not much improved by tomorrow morning. However if she is used to a raw diet including raw bones, I would be less concerned about the bone and wonder if she's gotten into something else.

Any vomiting? Black tarry stool which would indicate internal bleeding?

I would not feed her again tonight, and give her some plain cooked chicken and rice tomorrow morning. If she is not better, or is worse, call the vet and ask that she be seen.

All paws crossed for her, keep us posted!

Gail

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 30 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Hi Gail,

Thanks for replying

My dog normally eats dry dog food with occasional chicken necks. This is the first time I have given her any other bone.

She is a dalmation x english staffy, about the size of an american staffy and she is 5. She has sneaked cat food a few times, it is in my daughters bedroom which is out of bounds to her.

Her second stool which was done inside had a small section of dark material, could this be blood. These stools were quiet large. I am sorry, I don't know what tarry means.

She is very loyal and constantly by my side normally (except when stealing cat food!) so I am pretty sure she has not gotten into anything else. I have been worried since she ate the bone. I wanted to take it off her but have only had her 6 months and didn't know how she would react.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by worried1 View Post
    Hi

My dog ate a whole uncooked chicken leg about a week ago with only a couple of chews and I don't think she broke the bone at all.

Since then she has alternated between diarrhea and constipation and has poo-ed inside 3 x after straining outside. She has never done this before. I rang the vets and got the weekend service and they told me to observe her and if it got worse to call back.

It hasn't got worse but it hasn't got better either. She is only eating yummy food, not her usual diet, ie stole the cats food which is normally off limits. She is drinking but less I think.

I am looking for advice on what I should do.

Will it pass, will be bone be digested or should I insist the vet takes a look now, or monday morning which is 18 hours away here.

My dog is laying down quietly which is normal for her but animals can hide pain better than humans past experience tells me.

Thanks.
    I would put her on a bland diet for now. Try some boiled chicken, ground beef or turkey and some rice. Pasta is good for this too. If it continues I would get her to a vet on Monday. If she takes a turn for the worse and won't eat or if she gets lethargic then you might want to visit an emergency vet.

Keep an eye on her, which I know you are. Let us know what happens, and I'll be sending some prayers your way.
    Jill Gallo /Manager
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 30 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The Petsforums Management Team

Thanks, I will put her on a bland diet of chicken and rice today.

I think I will take her to the vets regardless tomorrow or sooner if she gets worse. I can't stop worrying about her.

Any suggestions of what I can put in her water to tempt her to drink more? Could I cool the water I boiled the chicken in and use that??

It's the straining that worries me. Diarrhea and refusing to eat normal food is normal to see if the dog has eaten something that is upsetting the stomach - often, the upset stomach comes with nausea.

I couldn't tell you if the bone is likely to be digested, as I'm no vet. But I have had dogs for years, so I'm familiar with the worry you're going through.

A small section of darker stool isn't "black and tarry" - that would be more along the lines of stool that's looser and gooey and really nasty looking, indicating bleeding internally. But I wouldn't wait for that - if the dog is pooping somewhat normally, or has diarrhea without a lot of straining, then just hang in there and wait for Monday. And there may even be some fresh blood amongst the stools - that sometimes happens when a dog's tummy is so upset that it causes them to burst a small blood vessel in the process of pooping. But if you notice a lot of straining with no "results", I would call the vet ASAP, as that could indicate a blockage.

But again, I'm no vet - if your instincts tell you that you simply NEED to get the dog seen, go for it. Sometimes, peace of mind is worth pulling out all the stops and getting the dog looked at immediately.

Mary
    --------------------------------
    Mary
    (with Tilly
    and Sadie and Elsie) Their album is

Tilly's videos are

By tarry (tar-ee) I mean black and sticky. That would indicate possible internal bleeding. I would have thought a raw bone the size of a chicken leg would not be too much of a problem for a dog of her size, but...since she didn't chew it up well and she is not used to digesting bone very much, I can see how it could cause some digestive problems.

I know more about cat diets than dogs (my cats are raw fed and two of them do get small wing bones), but....like I said before, if I were as concerned as you are, I would insist on getting her seen tomorrow, if there isn't any improvement. An x ray at the very least, to make sure everything is okay inside.

Keep her hydrated of course, and maybe start feeding kitty up high in a spot she can't reach. I hope she is much improved by tomorrow, but I wouldn't hesitate to call the vet and insist on getting her seen, if she isn't.

Gail

PS Definitively you can use the chicken water! And the rice water too. Both very good for her.

Thanks, I will put her on a bland diet of chicken and rice today.

I think I will take her to the vets regardless tomorrow or sooner if she gets worse. I can't stop worrying about her.

Any suggestions of what I can put in her water to tempt her to drink more? Could I cool the water I boiled the chicken in and use that??
    That's a great idea to give her the water you boiled the chicken in - or you could try some low-salt broth. But definitely stick with boiled chicken and rice. That will help quite a bit to ease her into having food in her stomach again. You could also try giving her a spoon of plain yogurt at each meal, to help her stomach build up the good bacteria. And then when she's back to normal, EASE her into eating normal food over the course of a couple of days, so that her stomach doesn't go immediately back to being upset.
    Mary
    (with Tilly

Tilly's videos are

Thanks Gail and Mary,

Definitely going to the vets tomorrow, I can't stand the worry! Just took the chicken breast (NO BONES!) out of the freezer.

PS my 11 year old cat is a lot less of a worry!!

Thanks Gail and Mary,

Definitely going to the vets tomorrow, I can't stand the worry! Just took the chicken breast (NO BONES!) out of the freezer.

PS my 11 year old cat is a lot less of a worry!!
    LOL - yeah, sometimes, our dogs like to keep us on our toes!!

I'm glad you're getting him looked at. That peace of mind is worth it, and hopefully they can give you something to calm his stomach - after a week of this, he must be feeling absolutely awful, and could be dehydrated.

-Mary
    Mary
    (with Tilly

Tilly's videos are

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast