Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ideas for cat to stop scratching door

Default ideas for cat to stop scratching door

ok does anyone have an ideas or comments about what to do to get my cat to stop scratching at my bedroom door EVERY morning and cries until i open it this has been going on for a while now but before it was about the normal time i woke up in the morning so she was like my alarm clock--but now that school is out she has been doing it earlier and earlier every morning this morning it was 5am--so my daughter and i cant get back to sleep--i cant put her in any other rooms because there are no doors to the kitchen or living room and only 1 bedroom--bathroom is way too small--she would just crying--the scratching is very annoying and irritating--i do cut her claws back every week or so--should i get her declawed shes an inside cat--or isnt there something i can put on her paws at night!?!?!?
    help
    thanks
    alex

I feel your pain! Lilly is quite persistent at times, and she usually insists on bugging me at least once every morning around 5AM.

I have a few ideas, but I'm not sure how successful they are. I have seen several different spray cans of "Cat Away", and I have also seen plastic claw covers that you buy online that protect your furniture and would probably minimize the noise of the scratching. A more expensive option is the battery-powered mats that produce noises and sometimes mild shocks if a cat goes in an area where you don't want him. Maybe your vet could recommend some other options.

I don't think that declawing is an unthinkable option, but I think it should be used only as a last resort as it is certainly invasive and often painful for the cat. I am also sure that it would not solve the problem since the crying would continue. But perhaps the spray or claw covers are good places to start. Best of luck!

i forgot to say that she does have a scratching post--the ones you hand on your doorknob--maybe i will buy another one and put it outsude the door maybe then she will get the point--know any good sites to find the claw covers does petsmart sell them
    thanks
    alex

I'm sorry - I meant to give you the claw covers link and forgot.
    Here it is: http://www.softpaws.com/
    I haven't seen anything like them anywhere but here. I thought about trying them on my cat, but I just don't see how she would sit still long enough for me to glue each one on. If you try them and like them, please let me know!

Quote Originally Posted by alexmerced
    ok does anyone have an ideas or comments about what to do to get my cat to stop scratching at my bedroom door EVERY morning and cries until i open it this has been going on for a while now but before it was about the normal time i woke up in the morning so she was like my alarm clock--but now that school is out she has been doing it earlier and earlier every morning this morning it was 5am--so my daughter and i cant get back to sleep--i cant put her in any other rooms because there are no doors to the kitchen or living room and only 1 bedroom--bathroom is way too small--she would just crying--the scratching is very annoying and irritating--i do cut her claws back every week or so--should i get her declawed shes an inside cat--or isnt there something i can put on her paws at night!?!?!?
    help
    thanks
    alex
    Cats don't like closed doors; declawing will not likely stop the behavior as you will get pawing on the door instead. Most avoidance training aids use a sound combined with an air blast. The following is a link to a mat that cats don't like to walk upon, and you could place it outside the door at night:

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Produc...02+2017+113563

I have not seen these products locally at pet shops, and I use two on a sofa I don't want them on (they previously 'annointed' it, so I need to stop them from returning to the scene of the crime.) I have also used a static mat, but that is usually not sized for sticking outside a door, nor as convenient to take up and put down.

The fact that this behaviour is earlier and earlier it probably a reflection of the longer daylight so she is up earlier to check out the goings on in the yard, etc., and wants to share that with you.

well thanks for the info i have bought the soft claws --i just hope i can get them on and they stay on!! will let you know!
    alex

well thanks for the info i have bought the soft claws --i just hope i can get them on and they stay on!! will let you know!
    alex
    When I started with Soft Paws, I had the vet tech put them on the first couple of times.
    Karen A/Publicist

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 30 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

alex
    The Soft Paws won't stop the cat from clawing at the door, but it will minimize damage. They need to be changed frequently as they will fall off as the cat's claws grow out. However, the cat will still try to wake you up in the morning. If you get up and respond to the cat when it does this, you are training the cat to scratch at the door for attention. Try just ignoring the cat, no matter how persistent it is. Also, Cats don't like loud noises, so one thing you can do is put some coins in a soda can and when the cat scratches, shake the can from the other side of the closed door.
    Diane and Cicero - Sr. Manager
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 30 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    :

oh she will keep doing it for hours beleive me--i cant do the noise thing because it will wake up my daughter--she sleeps in the same room--sometimes she doesnt hear it because her bed is on the other side of the room--but i did just trim them and filed them also--ive been brainstorming for tonight what to do until the soft paws arrive--maybe but vaseline all over the door! i dont care about the door at all-not mine i rent--but i actually cant figure out where shes doing it at--the side the frame or what-because i dont see any deep marks on the door--i tried last night piling towels in front of the door but no luck! maybe put carpet on the door! theres got to be something- i cant let her in because we wont be able to sleep then--this seems like a no win situation!
    alex

When my cat was a kitten he was bad about getting into the computer wires. I used canned air to spook him away from them. To this day, and he is three now, he stays away from the back of the computer.
    Maybe you could get some canned air and spray that under the door. Most come with a "wand" attachment to get into small spaces so you could direct it under the door towards the cat. It wouldn't make much noise but it might spook the cat enough to do the job.
    Anne

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast