Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 15 year old losing weight, won't eat much

Unhappy 15 year old losing weight, won't eat much

Sheba is 15 and has lost weight over the last month. She has an appetite---most of the time---but when we put the canned food in front of her she either snubs it (she always was finicky) or licks at it, takes a few bites, then quits. We've tried different brands. She always loved dry food before, but no longer even tries it---she only goes for canned food now.

She goes to the bathroom---all that is normal. She purrs as normal too. Maybe it's because she's lost weight around her middle that I notice it, but her breathing seems to be more noticeable. I have tried Nutri-cal for cats; it initially seemed to increase her appetite, but she still doesn't eat much. Then I read on another pet forum that Nutrical is actually bad for cats---some chemical in it is bad for a cat's liver? I can't believe that; it's sold for cats, isn't it? Now I don't know if Nutrical is safe or not? Is it??

Anyway, I'm going to have to take her to the vet, but I am worried about what the vet may say. I have visions that the doctor will put her to sleep and the cat won't return home with me. That happened to me with my dog in the 1970s (leukemia).

--Dale

Dale,
    At 15 your Sheba has definitely entered the ranks of Senior Citizen and unfortunately that brings with it a host of different problems. It could be that Sheba is experiencing some kidney or liver malfunction but it could also be something as simple as a dental problem.

All animals lose weight as they age, that's totally normal, but her decreased appetite is a symptom that something else is bothering her. It's best that you're going to let your vet take a look and see if there isn't something he can do to make her life a little easier.

Good luck and let us know what the vet has to say!
    Marg Little, Senior Manager
    The Pets Forums Management Team

"She was not quite what you would call refined. She was not quite what you would call unrefined. She was the kind of person that keeps a parrot."
    - Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by dale001
    Sheba is 15 and has lost weight over the last month. She has an appetite---most of the time---but when we put the canned food in front of her she either snubs it (she always was finicky) or licks at it, takes a few bites, then quits. We've tried different brands. She always loved dry food before, but no longer even tries it---she only goes for canned food now.

She goes to the bathroom---all that is normal. She purrs as normal too. Maybe it's because she's lost weight around her middle that I notice it, but her breathing seems to be more noticeable. I have tried Nutri-cal for cats; it initially seemed to increase her appetite, but she still doesn't eat much. Then I read on another pet forum that Nutrical is actually bad for cats---some chemical in it is bad for a cat's liver? I can't believe that; it's sold for cats, isn't it? Now I don't know if Nutrical is safe or not? Is it??

Anyway, I'm going to have to take her to the vet, but I am worried about what the vet may say. I have visions that the doctor will put her to sleep and the cat won't return home with me. That happened to me with my dog in the 1970s (leukemia).

--Dale

My first thought when I started reading was kidney problems, but then as I read on it sounds more like her teeth are bothering her. left untreatd, dental problems can cause other problems, including kidney. animal medicne is far more advanced than it was in the 70's and most vets are not quick to put an animal to sleep these days, especailly if the owner is willing to care for the aging animal. First step is a vet visit, and don't put it off, knowing is BETTER than not knowing! You can be a batter help to her if you know what's wrong.

Gail

I will call the vet. And is Nutri-cal safe? Anyone use it?

--Dale

I second the notion that she has dental problems. I think it is also important to have a complete blood work done, including looking for thyroid problems. Weight loss is common in older cats, and thyroid problems can be a factor, but in your case she seems to be shunning food rather than losing weight on a normal diet.

Don't fear what the vet will say; vets want animals to have a long and healthy life. If your vet seems to feel otherwise, it indicates the need for a new vet. At 15, she is really comparable to a person in their eighties; that is no reason to expect her to not live many more years and giving you more years of unconditional love.

Don't let the leukemia situation with your dog in the 1970's keep you away from finding out. Much has changed since then, in both attitudes and treatment and diagnosis.

The sooner you find the problem, the more likely it will be caught early enough that you can do something about it. Your vet will perform a complete physical exam and a blood panel, including a CBC, a chemistry panel, and a thyroid screening test, to look for the most common causes of the behavior you describe. Dental disease is an often overlooked cause of decreased appetite, and can damage the heart, kidneys, and liver as well.

Good luck,
    Dr. Gus

Thanks for the replies. She has a vet appointment this afternoon; I will keep you posted. I guess I sound like a wimp, but I dread having the doctor use the C word. But I guess even cancer can be treated long enough to add time to an animal's life. I'm hoping it is something less severe--like dental problems. Sheba always ate hard food and just a couple of months ago loved those soft treats--called "Aquar-Yums" ---but now won't even consider eating them or any hard food. Hopefully, the vet will get her to eat some canned food and get her weight back up.

--Dale

I'm in tears as I write this...The doctor took Sheba in the back to do a full blood screening when he returned: "She's in the back wheezing--she has her self so upset--I don't like how it sounds. I'd like to do a chest x-ray, first, instead. I wait and anticipate bad news. I'm right. He shows me the x-ray and I see the tumor next to her heart the size of a dime. The doc explains the options to me and the fact that its location doesn't bode well for her. It's interfering with her breathing. I did notice her breathing was becoming more labored recently.

With treatment, she could live two days, two weeks, or two months, but will get worse and sooner or later, suffer. After thinking about it, asking the right questions and making sure the doctor thought I was making the right decision, I signed the paper to put Sheba to sleep. As I looked at her wheezing--almost like a pneumonia sound--I knew I was doing the right thing and the doctor told me that if I wasn't he would tell me I wasn't. As I looked in her eyes, call me weird, but when her eyes met mine I knew I was making the right decision. I cried right in front of the doctor and the nurses---I'm very embarassed about that. A 42-year old male crying! They told me they are used to that. I wonder if they just are saying that. I'm crying now. I will have her urn in a few days and somehow, someway, it's my hope, if not belief, that we will see each other again...in a better place.
    I already miss my little friend....

You did the right thing. You wouldn't have wanted her to die of suffocation. It's a horrible position to be in, but we owe it to the pets we love and who love and depend on us to make the tough decision to prevent them from suffering.
    Dr. Gus

Quote Originally Posted by dale001
    I'm in tears as I write this...The doctor took Sheba in the back to do a full blood screening when he returned: "She's in the back wheezing--she has her self so upset--I don't like how it sounds. I'd like to do a chest x-ray, first, instead. I wait and anticipate bad news. I'm right. He shows me the x-ray and I see the tumor next to her heart the size of a dime. The doc explains the options to me and the fact that its location doesn't bode well for her. It's interfering with her breathing. I did notice her breathing was becoming more labored recently.

With treatment, she could live two days, two weeks, or two months, but will get worse and sooner or later, suffer. After thinking about it, asking the right questions and making sure the doctor thought I was making the right decision, I signed the paper to put Sheba to sleep. As I looked at her wheezing--almost like a pneumonia sound--I knew I was doing the right thing and the doctor told me that if I wasn't he would tell me I wasn't. As I looked in her eyes, call me weird, but when her eyes met mine I knew I was making the right decision. I cried right in front of the doctor and the nurses---I'm very embarassed about that. A 42-year old male crying! They told me they are used to that. I wonder if they just are saying that. I'm crying now. I will have her urn in a few days and somehow, someway, it's my hope, if not belief, that we will see each other again...in a better place.
    I already miss my little friend....
    Oh Dale, I'm so sorry! I hope someone at the vet gave you a hug because you sure need one right now! Please don't be embarrassed about crying -- it shows how much you treasured Sheba and it's perfectly normal. I'm sorry the diagnosis was so serious that you had to let Sheba go -- but you did the right thing of course considering how badly she was wheezing and suffering. This is always such a terribly difficult decision, but it's a promise we make when we take on the care of our beloved furkids that we will let them go with dignity when the time comes.

Sending you virtual hugs.
    Diane and Cicero - Sr. Manager
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 30 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    :

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast