Thread: kitten diarrhea after shots/deworm?

Question kitten diarrhea after shots/deworm?

hi, i have 2 8-wk old formerly stray kittens that i just took to the vet for their first shots/deworming 2 days ago and this morning i woke up to cat diarrhea about 4 times on my carpet. while i was cleaning it up, the same kitten who did it proceeded to go two more times on the carpet! they have warmed up to us recently and haven't done something like this since we've had them all week. i didn't know what to do so i put her by herself in our walk-in closet with food/water and a litterbox.

this kitten also has trouble keeping her rear end clean. she likes to scoot her bottom on the carpet and leaving a mess. i tried to wash her in the sink but of course she hates that. any suggestions?

p.s. - thanks for all your help on my previous questions - you guys are the best!

Quote Originally Posted by rachelh
    hi, i have 2 8-wk old formerly stray kittens that i just took to the vet for their first shots/deworming 2 days ago and this morning i woke up to cat diarrhea about 4 times on my carpet. while i was cleaning it up, the same kitten who did it proceeded to go two more times on the carpet! they have warmed up to us recently and haven't done something like this since we've had them all week. i didn't know what to do so i put her by herself in our walk-in closet with food/water and a litterbox.

this kitten also has trouble keeping her rear end clean. she likes to scoot her bottom on the carpet and leaving a mess. i tried to wash her in the sink but of course she hates that. any suggestions?

p.s. - thanks for all your help on my previous questions - you guys are the best!
    its been a long time since i had a kitten that young so i dont remember if they have loose stools or diarrhea after shots/deworming,,, wish i could remember. It might be that her system is just a little upset right now and will straighten out or maybe has straightened out by now -- but If she keeps up with the diarrhea I wouldnt wait too long and would call the vet - kittens can get dehydrated pretty quickly and maybe she ought to be on a special diet until her digestive system calms down. If she was dewormed her body may be now trying to rid itself of the worms,, so its a good idea to keep her near a litter box.
    I look forward to hearing more about your little kittens,, i have one grown up cat now, claire who is 5 yrs old,, but years ago i got 3 kittens all at the same time and what a joy they were ,, so much fun to watch them play and climb, and get into mischief :-)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 30 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 30 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    critters and rosy

My six year old cat, Tolly always gets very sick from his shots, with diahrrea and loss of appetite and hiding. This kitten may be sensitive to the vaccines and may need to get them all separately in future. Be sure to call your vet and let them know what's happening so it can be put in her record. If she's not improved in a day or two more, I would suggest bringing her back to the vet.

You might try wiping her bottom with a warm wet paper towel when she can't get herself clean. That will feel more like her mother is washing her. It might also help her learn how to do it herself. It must be very scary for her to be dunked in the sink. Give her a treat after, and eventually she will get used to it and hopefully tolerate it better.

I also have a cat, Ootay, who gets "stink butt" frequently, she has very long petticoats. It's always been a problem for her, but even worse now that she is older (14) and has constipation problems. I give her metamucil every day, and that helps her go, but it makes her stools very sticky and I have to clean her up, often. Not just her petticoats, but sometimes the poop is actually stuck in her bottom and I have to wipe/pull it out of her the rest of the way. After years of this, she has gotten accustomed to it and knows to come to me if she needs help.

Gaill

I hope by now the diarrhea has cleared on its own -- if not, you need to call the vet asap -- kittens that young can get dehydrated very quicky. Be sure they're eating some wet kitten food and drinking plenty of water -- you might encourage water consumption with a dropper if you have to. The kitten that was having trouble keeping her rear clean was probably bothered by the worms and this should clear as the worms clear. In the meantime, you can wipe her with a baby wipe.
    Diane and Cicero - Sr. Manager
    :

<<<she likes to scoot her bottom on the carpet and leaving a mess. i tried to wash her in the sink but of course she hates that. any suggestions?>>>

Some of ours didn't wipe themselves very well when they were young. We used wet washcloths on them, which feel rough, as their mother's tongues do. They didn't seem to mind. For the very young, motherless ones, we had to use the washcloths to stimulate them to pee and poop until they could go on their own.

cheers
    teresa

My kittens had diarrhea. It went away eventually. They didn't even have worms, as far as the vet could find. They were just (1) dealing with traveling all the time and nervousness - and - (2) an ever changing diet of food, because they had different people feeding them through these times.
    Jason
    DJ Jayito

Thumbs up Thanks!! ;)

Thanks for everyone's advice, the kitten seems better today, i think it might have been her getting rid of the worms that made her have bowel problems; she seems fine now although still does the bottom-scooting now and then.

it's good to know there are helpful people out there!

Thanks for everyone's advice, the kitten seems better today, i think it might have been her getting rid of the worms that made her have bowel problems; she seems fine now although still does the bottom-scooting now and then.

If the bottom scooting persists, check with the vet.. it's possible that an anal gland has gotten impacted with all the diarrhea. Scooting is a symptom of that since it makes the bottom itchy.
    Karen A/Publicist

I'm glad to see she's better! If the bottom scooting doesn't go away, have her checked for worms again. The meds don't always get all of them the first time. She should also be checked for anal glad problems. When she scoots, check to see if there's some stool stuck to her as she leaves the litter box -- this is a common problem.
    Diane and Cicero - Sr. Manager
    :