Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 10-Year-Old Cat Suddenly Poops In Bed!

OriJa

Unhappy 10-Year-Old Cat Suddenly Poops In Bed!

Hello, fellow animal lovers:

As you can see, this is my first post. Luckily, I found this forum by doing a search. It looks like a helpful forum with knowledgeable people. I really hope that someone can help me here. I'm desperate!

I've had my baby girl (my cat) since she was 10 weeks old. She is now 10 and a half years old. Several months ago, for no apparent reason (although I'm sure there *is* one, I just have no idea what it is), she started pooping on my bed. Note: She *never* pees on my bed, only poops. She continues peeing in the litter box. I just don't understand this. Everything seems to be normal--her stool looks healthy, she acts fine, she's eating well, etc. I've had no schedule changes (I've had the same job for five years), no company in the house, nothing out of the ordinary has happened in her life. I'm really in awe of this situation. I've tried scolding her for it. Didn't work. I've tried ignoring it and just simply cleaning it up and going about business as usual. Didn't work. I tried covering the bed with newspaper. It worked, so every morning I would put newspaper down and every night before bed I would remove the newspaper. I did this for about 30 days and not once did she poop on the bed. Finally, I stopped putting the paper down (I figured by this time, I'd broken her of the habit), and she didn't go on the bed for a long, long time. Now suddenly, a few nights ago, I came home from work and--yep, you guessed it!--poop right in the middle of my bed! The next night she didn't do it, but the following night she did.

I'm going crazy trying to figure out the reason behind this seemingly random act. If anyone could offer me any advice/feedback, I would be so thankful.

Kindest regards,
    OriJa

I'm not exactly sure why she would be doing this, but from everything I've read, it leads me to believe something, somewhere has changed. Maybe it's something really small or maybe she's feeling neglected and wants more attention?

I wish I could help more. But, I have a short story about a similar situation a coworker of mine went through with her cat. Whenever she would go away for a long weekend, the cat would become upset that she was left alone. The cat would start pooping in the middle of the living room floor to spite the family for going away. Well, she first tried cleaning it up, but the cat keep pooping in the living room. Then she tried ignoring it, and the cat keep pooping in the living room. Finally, and I don't think this is reccommended, but it worked, she took the poop and put it in the cats food bowl with the logic that she'd 1-up the cat. It worked. The cat was mad and meowed like crazy that the poop was in her food bowl. She left the food there for a while, until she felt comfortable that the cat realized - poop in the living room, then there will be poop in your food bowl. I'm told the cat hasn't pooped in the living room since.

Like I said, I doubt that is the answer to the problem or a reccommended solution, but it worked for her.

Good luck and keep us posted.

No changes and nothing out of the ordinary? Did you move any furniture around, or change the location of things on the counter in the kitchen? There is, I suspect, some tiny and subtle change that she is reacting to. This is, however, a real stumper. Since she has gone a long time without doing it, it would seem to rule out a medical problem. A possible solution would be to look into Feliway. A plug in type might work -- #PF-13069 available at http://www.drsfostersmith.com and at better pet stores. The plug in type works for 650 sq. ft, which might suit your bedroom. It provides a calming effect on cats.

Quote Originally Posted by OriJa
    Now suddenly, a few nights ago, I came home from work and--yep, you guessed it!--poop right in the middle of my bed! The next night she didn't do it, but the following night she did.

I'm going crazy trying to figure out the reason behind this seemingly random act. If anyone could offer me any advice/feedback, I would be so thankful.

Kindest regards,
    OriJa
    I'm assuming, of course, that you've changed the bedding after each "accident." What about the mattress pad (or mattress, if you don't use a pad)? You might use an enzyme cleaner on the immediate area on each of those to make sure there isn't a trace odor that she can smell, which would serve as an "invitation" to repeat.

I know how frustrating it can be, though. When Tatiahna joined our family, one of the older cats responded by getting on my bed and peeing on all three nearly-new goose-down pillows that I had there. Oy!
    Eliyahu Rooff
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 30 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

OriJa

Quote Originally Posted by RowdyNino
    I'm not exactly sure why she would be doing this, but from everything I've read, it leads me to believe something, somewhere has changed. Maybe it's something really small or maybe she's feeling neglected and wants more attention?

I wish I could help more. But, I have a short story about a similar situation a coworker of mine went through with her cat. Whenever she would go away for a long weekend, the cat would become upset that she was left alone. The cat would start pooping in the middle of the living room floor to spite the family for going away. Well, she first tried cleaning it up, but the cat keep pooping in the living room. Then she tried ignoring it, and the cat keep pooping in the living room. Finally, and I don't think this is reccommended, but it worked, she took the poop and put it in the cats food bowl with the logic that she'd 1-up the cat. It worked. The cat was mad and meowed like crazy that the poop was in her food bowl. She left the food there for a while, until she felt comfortable that the cat realized - poop in the living room, then there will be poop in your food bowl. I'm told the cat hasn't pooped in the living room since.

Like I said, I doubt that is the answer to the problem or a reccommended solution, but it worked for her.

Good luck and keep us posted.
    Oh, gosh! LOL I don't think I could bring myself to do that. It would just break my heart if I upset her like that. But I thank you so much for your reply. I guess, if she continues, I'll just go back to putting newspaper down for a while. It worked last time for a long time--and now suddenly she's doing it again.

Thanks again for your response. This forum looks great! Lots of nice people who really care for animals.

I need to post my cat's photo for my sig, as I've noticed a lot of people have don't that. Now I just need to figure out how to do it.

OriJa

Quote Originally Posted by calicokitty
    No changes and nothing out of the ordinary? Did you move any furniture around, or change the location of things on the counter in the kitchen? There is, I suspect, some tiny and subtle change that she is reacting to. This is, however, a real stumper. Since she has gone a long time without doing it, it would seem to rule out a medical problem. A possible solution would be to look into Feliway. A plug in type might work -- #PF-13069 available at http://www.drsfostersmith.com and at better pet stores. The plug in type works for 650 sq. ft, which might suit your bedroom. It provides a calming effect on cats.
    Yes, thank you. I've heard of that and actually checked into it the first time around. But I decided against it because I didn't want to manipulate her environment with a chemical of some sort. Nor do I want her so relaxed that she becomes a zombie. I want to keep her as active as possible, as she's an older cat and indoor and we really need to watch her weight.

But I thank you so much for your reply.

OriJa

Quote Originally Posted by EliyahuRooff
    I'm assuming, of course, that you've changed the bedding after each "accident." What about the mattress pad (or mattress, if you don't use a pad)? You might use an enzyme cleaner on the immediate area on each of those to make sure there isn't a trace odor that she can smell, which would serve as an "invitation" to repeat.

I know how frustrating it can be, though. When Tatiahna joined our family, one of the older cats responded by getting on my bed and peeing on all three nearly-new goose-down pillows that I had there. Oy!
    Well, see, I have a "top sheet." Well, let me explain. I have so much on my bed. LOL OK, first, there's the mattress, then the mattress pad, then the bottom sheet, then the comforter, then a thin blanket, then the top sheet (which is really more of a very thin remnant decorative material more than anything else). So, with all that layering, I don't see how she could smell anything. And, yes, of course I take the top sheet off and wash it (with Pine-Sol) every time.

It's weird though: You'd think that if a cat was going to be mad at you and go to the bathroom in your bed, it would be both pee and poop, but she never pees in the bed, ever! Also: It's *her* bed too--she sleeps up there constantly and with me at night. Why would she want to do that to her own bed?

Quote Originally Posted by OriJa
    Well, see, I have a "top sheet." Well, let me explain. I have so much on my bed. LOL OK, first, there's the mattress, then the mattress pad, then the bottom sheet, then the comforter, then a thin blanket, then the top sheet (which is really more of a very thin remnant decorative material more than anything else). So, with all that layering, I don't see how she could smell anything. And, yes, of course I take the top sheet off and wash it (with Pine-Sol) every time.

It's weird though: You'd think that if a cat was going to be mad at you and go to the bathroom in your bed, it would be both pee and poop, but she never pees in the bed, ever! Also: It's *her* bed too--she sleeps up there constantly and with me at night. Why would she want to do that to her own bed?
    Hi and welcome to the forum! Usually with a situation with inappropriate elimination we recommend a vet visit to rule out a medical problem. It doesn't sound like that's the case here, but it wouldn't hurt, just to be sure. For example, if the cat is constipated and it hurts to go, it might blame the box and so find another place to poop. Also, how much poop is there? Is it hard? Have you ever seen the cat "carry out" the stool when she leaves the box -- this is not an uncommon problem with cats (I've had 2 that do it) and then the poop falls out if the cat jumps on the bed.

Other things to check are whether you've recently changed the type of litter or placement of the litter box. Also, some cats like two boxes, one for each function (though your cat started this at 10 years, and so suddenly wanting a different box to poop in is probably not what's wrong).

Wash the sheet and the thin blanket in an enzyme cleaner -- you can buy them at pet stores. This will eliminate the attractant odor -- I don't know if Pine Sol accomplishes this.

BTW, cat's don't pee or poop inappropriately because they're "mad" at you, so don't worry about that <GGG>!

Good luck -- keep us posted, and I hope you'll join in our discussions in the other sections. We're a friendly bunch of pet lovers around here!
    Diane and Cicero - Sr. Manager
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 30 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    :

OriJa

First of all, thank you so much for your reply. This forum is fantastic! Thank you, all of you!
    Quote Originally Posted by DianeP
    Hi and welcome to the forum! Usually with a situation with inappropriate elimination we recommend a vet visit to rule out a medical problem.
    Actually, I took her to the vet not too long ago in between all this and her checkup was fine. I did mention the bed-pooping problem to her vet and, of course, she asked me the typical questions--about changes in the household, etc.

It doesn't sound like that's the case here, but it wouldn't hurt, just to be sure. For example, if the cat is constipated and it hurts to go, it might blame the box and so find another place to poop. Also, how much poop is there? Is it hard? Have you ever seen the cat "carry out" the stool when she leaves the box -- this is not an uncommon problem with cats (I've had 2 that do it) and then the poop falls out if the cat jumps on the bed.
    It's just a normal size amount of poop, same as when she goes in the litter box it looks like. It's a little bit hard--but that's only because it's sitting there (under the ceiling fan) all day, and by the time I come home and find it, it's been a few hours and it's probably dried out and hard. Not super hard, no. Looks like normal stool, just a little dried out as any stool would be after several hours. Yes, I know what you mean about "carry out," but she usually doesn't have this problem. And this is definitely not from "carrying out"--it's a WHOLE pile. LOL

Other things to check are whether you've recently changed the type of litter or placement of the litter box. Also, some cats like two boxes, one for each function (though your cat started this at 10 years, and so suddenly wanting a different box to poop in is probably not what's wrong).
    Nope, been using the same brand of litter for about four years. The placement of the litter box has been in the same place for about five years--ever since we moved into this place.

Wash the sheet and the thin blanket in an enzyme cleaner -- you can buy them at pet stores. This will eliminate the attractant odor -- I don't know if Pine Sol accomplishes this.

BTW, cat's don't pee or poop inappropriately because they're "mad" at you, so don't worry about that <GGG>!
    Really? Are you sure? 'Cause I've heard that they can do it out of spite, definitely. A few vets at the office (it's a big office with about five different vets) even said so. Like if you don't come home when your "normal" time is, your cat can feel neglected and get mad at you and do it.

Good luck -- keep us posted, and I hope you'll join in our discussions in the other sections. We're a friendly bunch of pet lovers around here!
    I definitely will! And thank you so much for your time and reply, Diane.

OriJa

Hope you guys don't mind: This is just a quick test post to see if I set up my avatar correctly. I want to see if it shows. Anyway, if it works ... that's my baby girl. The poopy one! LOL

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast