Thread: 7 month old puppy peeing excessively, please help me!

Default 7 month old puppy peeing excessively, please help me!

our 7 month old basset hound puppy pees like crazy. He has to go out every ten minutes, and if we don't open the door, he goes to his crate and does his buisness in there. When he was about 3 months old the vet said it was a urinary tract infection and gave him antibiotics, but they didn't seem to make any difference. He drinks like crazy and doesn't seem to have any pain when peeing, blood in urine, or anything. He's the happiest, most active puppy in the world, he just wants to play, then drink till hes ready to explode, then pee. Its been 4 months and the vet is saying a urine culture is in order, but I'm afraid he is stuck now in the habit of going out every second of the day. I'm so tired of the mess and the smell. It seems that hes housetrained, he just can't seem to hold in his urine. I am at my wits end. Can anyone help me?

Quote Originally Posted by eggysbrain
    our 7 month old basset hound puppy pees like crazy. He has to go out every ten minutes, and if we don't open the door, he goes to his crate and does his buisness in there. When he was about 3 months old the vet said it was a urinary tract infection and gave him antibiotics, but they didn't seem to make any difference. He drinks like crazy and doesn't seem to have any pain when peeing, blood in urine, or anything. He's the happiest, most active puppy in the world, he just wants to play, then drink till hes ready to explode, then pee. Its been 4 months and the vet is saying a urine culture is in order, but I'm afraid he is stuck now in the habit of going out every second of the day. I'm so tired of the mess and the smell. It seems that hes housetrained, he just can't seem to hold in his urine. I am at my wits end. Can anyone help me?
    I think he needs to see the vet ASAP, rule out medical problems that can cause this,,such as urinary tract infection, diabetes, thyroid disorder. I wouldnt put off these tests.
    If its not a medical problem then you'll need to bring him out everytime after he plays and drinks lots of water since peeing afterwards is what he does,, but peeing every 10 minutes is something the vet needs to know about. keep us posted- hope things are better soon.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 30 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 30 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    critters and rosy

The other possibility is that your puppy is suffering from polydipsia, which is excessively drinking water. Sometimes this is caused by Cushings disease (which is REALLY rare in young dogs, but can happen), so it will really pay off for you to take him in & get him taken care of. If the antibiotics didn't work, he may have something else wrong.

I know it is frustrating, especially since puppies are so cute.
    Kim Laird,Senior Manager
    The Pets Forums Management Team

You really need to get him back to the vet. While puppies do pee a lot, he shouldn't be peeing every 10 minutes, unless of course he's into marking territrory. Does a lot come out, or a little? I've known dogs that young who mark, and they will only let out a couple of drops.

Is he neutered? That may help somewhat with marking behavior.
    Jill Gallo /Manager

The Petsforums Management Team

Staff - Dogs

Does the puppy have free access to unlimited quantities of water? If so, likely there is your problem. Unlimited access to food and water produces unlimited poop and pee. If the vet finds he's healthy, add water to the food and otherwise restrict it under normal circumstances like puppy kept indoors and not overheating from exercise. Let him chew on small bits of ice cube for wetting his whistle when you feel he needs it.

Eric

we let him drink, but not constantly as he would like to! He just seems to drink drink drink, and when he does pee, its almost like water rather than regular yellow urine. Anyway I've made him a vet appointment for a couple of weeks time because I'm worried about him He's my baby and I don't want anything to happen to him! thanks for the replies
    Attached Images Attached Images

we let him drink, but not constantly as he would like to! He just seems to drink drink drink, and when he does pee, its almost like water rather than regular yellow urine. Anyway I've made him a vet appointment for a couple of weeks time because I'm worried about him He's my baby and I don't want anything to happen to him! thanks for the replies
    Getting him checked by a vet is a good idea. You can rule out any medical conditions such as a bladder infection.

He's adorable, let us know what the vet says.
    Jill Gallo /Manager

The Petsforums Management Team

There's a condition called Diabetes Insipidus which can cause what you're describing. I hope that's not what it is, but the vet can check for that, as well as the other things people have told you about. Meanwhile, try not to restrict his water too much. He may be in severe physiological need of drinking.
    Kim Laird,Senior Manager
    The Pets Forums Management Team