Thread: Shih Tzu vomiting

Default Shih Tzu vomiting

I have a Shih Tzu that occaisionally vomits, no food is bought up just white foamy liquid. Afterwards she is fine and as obstinate as the breed is.

I am not overly concerned as I had a cat that vomitted all the time for seemingly no reason and friends of mine also have animals that occaisionally throw up. Has anyone else have familiarity with a Shih Tzu?

She is only 4 months old and starting to teeth (they are sharp!) so just wondering what is the best thing for this apart from my feet and hands. She seems to enjoy soft toys more than hard ones but our furniture is starting to suffer.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kaflinkle
    I have a Shih Tzu that occaisionally vomits, no food is bought up just white foamy liquid. Afterwards she is fine and as obstinate as the breed is.

I am not overly concerned as I had a cat that vomitted all the time for seemingly no reason and friends of mine also have animals that occaisionally throw up. Has anyone else have familiarity with a Shih Tzu?

She is only 4 months old and starting to teeth (they are sharp!) so just wondering what is the best thing for this apart from my feet and hands. She seems to enjoy soft toys more than hard ones but our furniture is starting to suffer.

Thanks
    What is your dog doing prior to the vomitting? Amy (my dog) does that too. She'll hack up white foamy stuff. Usually this happens if she drinks right after running or playing hard. Sometimes if someone gives her a treat after she's been running she'll hack the white foamy stuff too.

Keep an eye on it. That could be what it is, but if it continues, or she appears not to feel well then a vet visit would be in order.
    Jill Gallo /Manager
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 30 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The Petsforums Management Team

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 30 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

This is usually due to a stomach that is too empty. Sometimes dogs that do this, do this the most in the morning, since they've gone overnight without eating. Many dog owners find that giving a dog biscuit at night before bedtime helps alleviate the vomiting.

Unlike with cats, dogs do not typically vomit frequently, unless there's an underlying, chronic physical condition. So if this continues despite giving a treat at night, you should consult your vet.
    Kim Laird,Senior Manager
    The Pets Forums Management Team

Keep a log if you haven't detected a pattern of when she's vomiting, even if it's just on a piece of paper tacked up on the fridge. That helped us narrow down that our dogs are perfect examples of the suggestions you've gotten so far - Tilly vomits when she's drank too fast after exercise, and Sadie vomits if she goes too long without a meal. For Tilly, we learned to slow her down while drinking - call her name, make her lift her head out of the bowl and take a couple of breaths and then let her drink a few more laps, then repeat about every five to ten laps until she's done drinking. For Sadie, we learned to just feed the poor baby breakfast every day - she'd puke at about 4 pm, every day, just because she'd had to wait just a little too long to eat dinner (it was ALWAYS before she got her dinner), but if we gave her breakfast in the morning, she'd be ok until dinner time. And this started at just about six months, a couple of weeks after we tried to switch her to getting one meal per day. So keep a log - it's a common problem, hopefully this will show you what the cause is.

-Mary
    --------------------------------
    Mary
    (with Tilly
    and Sadie and Elsie) Their album is

Tilly's videos are

I think it is the empty stomach thing as she vomits in the morning. It's too rare though to be worried. I'm going to try and give her a couple of biscuits at night to see if that stops it but like I said, I am not overly worried.

Thanks to everyone who responded.

I have to say that the Shih Tzu is the most obstinate breed I've ever had. Fun though and suprisingly sturdy and tough for a small breed.

This is not uncommon in toy dogs. Give her a biscuit at bedtime and if that isn't enough, another one as soon as you wake up.
    Rita

Quote Originally Posted by kaflinkle
    I think it is the empty stomach thing as she vomits in the morning. It's too rare though to be worried. I'm going to try and give her a couple of biscuits at night to see if that stops it but like I said, I am not overly worried.

Thanks to everyone who responded.

I have to say that the Shih Tzu is the most obstinate breed I've ever had. Fun though and suprisingly sturdy and tough for a small breed.
    My sister had a German Shepard that had the same thing. She'd throw up bile on an empty stomach. Usually a biscuit or two will do it.
    Jill Gallo /Manager

The Petsforums Management Team

As others have recommended, keep a log to see if a pattern emerges that can help your vet track down the possible causes. A sample of the vomitus can be tested to see if it is stomach acid or bile, which point to different things.

My Yorkies do this occasionally, and feeding multiple smaller meals seems to help them.

Have your vet do an exam and some blood work, because there are some serious conditions like shunts that can initially present with occasional vomiting in a dog this age.
    Dr. Gus