Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: My dog keeps shaking here head, and scratching at her ears...

  1. #1
    New Member TheLWangster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    2

    Exclamation My dog keeps shaking here head, and scratching at her ears...

    I think there's something wrong with my 6 year old yellow lab. She constantly shakes her head and scratches her ears, which her floppy. One time she even acted a bit drunk, not able to keep her balance. Does anyone have any idea what's up? We tried flea and tick medicine which didn't work...What else could it be?

  2. #2
    Manager JGallo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    35,757

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TheLWangster
    I think there's something wrong with my 6 year old yellow lab. She constantly shakes her head and scratches her ears, which her floppy. One time she even acted a bit drunk, not able to keep her balance. Does anyone have any idea what's up? We tried flea and tick medicine which didn't work...What else could it be?
    She may have an ear infection. Shaking the head is usually a sign of ear trouble. The last time my dog did that she had a bug bite way down in her ear canal.

    You need to get her to the vet and get her checked out. If it is an infection she'll need medicine to clear it up. There's really nothing over the counter you can give her for that, if that's even what it is.

    Let us know what how she is.
    Jill Gallo /Manager
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 30 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

    The Petsforums Management Team


    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 30 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 30 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

  3. #3
    Senior Member Carolyn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    319

    Default

    Yep does sound like an ear infection. Any problems within the inner ear can effect balance. If you lift the flap of her ear and take a sniff, you will probably find a not so nice smell coming from her ear.

    Also if infected they are usually incredibly hot in and around the ears. A vet trip is the best course of action I would say, to get it checked out and treated if necessary

    Good luck and keep us informed


    Carolyn

    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 30 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    ~He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion~
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 30 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

    Author Unknown



    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 30 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

    Cookiejar Creations
    Copyright 2006

    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 30 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

  4. #4
    Senior Manager kimj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Midwest, upper northern area of the USA
    Posts
    1,957

    Default

    Only a vet can help you with this problem. As others have said, the problem could range from bugs in the ear, to ear infection, to brain tumor, to vestibular imbalances.
    Kim Laird,Senior Manager
    The Pets Forums Management Team

    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 30 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 30 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


  5. #5
    Staff KathyY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    819

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TheLWangster
    I think there's something wrong with my 6 year old yellow lab. She constantly shakes her head and scratches her ears, which her floppy. One time she even acted a bit drunk, not able to keep her balance. Does anyone have any idea what's up? We tried flea and tick medicine which didn't work...What else could it be?
    We have a cocker spaniel and have had cockers all of our married years. With them ear infections is a commom problem because of their floppy ears. Of course you need to get your dog to the vet first to get a medication to clear the ears up and then you can use the following recipe to mix up and put in your dogs ears twice a week, half a cc per ear as a preventative. My vet recommended this to us seven years ago or so and our cocker has not had an infection since. The following recipe was posted on the forum a couple months ago and I saved it so that I could share it with others.

    1 pint 90% isopropyl alcohol (aka isopropanol) preferred over 80% or 70%; and
    1 scant tablespoon of powdered boric acid.
    Both of these can be obtained at Payless, Riteaide, Savon, etc.
    Shake together in pint bottle to dissolve as much as possible. There will always be a little insoluble particles in the solution. Decant a portion for use into a small squeeze bottle & use that to fill ear canal and rub around. Once or twice a day for two days has cleared up the worst yeast infection we ever had. A quick squirt after hunting in the sloughs of farm country totally prevents any infection for us.
    Be sure to keep most of the solution in the pint bottle and tightly capped. This stuff will absorb water right out of the air (reducing it's effectiveness) until it is 70%.
    KathyY
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 30 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

  6. #6
    Manager JGallo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    35,757

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KathyY
    We have a cocker spaniel and have had cockers all of our married years. With them ear infections is a commom problem because of their floppy ears. Of course you need to get your dog to the vet first to get a medication to clear the ears up and then you can use the following recipe to mix up and put in your dogs ears twice a week, half a cc per ear as a preventative. My vet recommended this to us seven years ago or so and our cocker has not had an infection since. The following recipe was posted on the forum a couple months ago and I saved it so that I could share it with others.

    1 pint 90% isopropyl alcohol (aka isopropanol) preferred over 80% or 70%; and
    1 scant tablespoon of powdered boric acid.
    Both of these can be obtained at Payless, Riteaide, Savon, etc.
    Shake together in pint bottle to dissolve as much as possible. There will always be a little insoluble particles in the solution. Decant a portion for use into a small squeeze bottle & use that to fill ear canal and rub around. Once or twice a day for two days has cleared up the worst yeast infection we ever had. A quick squirt after hunting in the sloughs of farm country totally prevents any infection for us.
    Be sure to keep most of the solution in the pint bottle and tightly capped. This stuff will absorb water right out of the air (reducing it's effectiveness) until it is 70%.
    Maybe this is why I always got dogs who's ears stand up. Well, Amy has one tipped, but it's still not floppy. My brother's lab needs to have her ears cleaned regularly too.
    Jill Gallo /Manager
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 30 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

    The Petsforums Management Team


    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 30 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 30 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

  7. #7
    Staff KathyY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    819

    Default

    It is not cleaning that I do, I just put the stuff in her ears and it does the trick.
    KathyY
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 30 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

  8. #8
    New Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    1

    Default

    Oceana one of my females has kinda lightest skin, she has for a year an ear or yeast infection that took hold and nothng helped not all the meds and expense of a vet, so I found this to be almost a miracle from a vet posted up and cheap to use.

    Blue Power Ear Treatment
    INGREDIENTS:
    16 Oz. Isopropyl Alcohol
    4 Tablespoons Boric Acid Powder
    16 Drops Gentian Violet Solution 1%

    Mix together in alcohol bottle and shake well. You will also need to shake solution every time you use it to disperse the Boric Acid Powder. To use, purchase the "Clairol" type plastic bottle to dispense solution to affected ears.
    TREATMENT: Evaluate condition of ears before treating and if very inflamed and sore do not attempt to pull hair or clean out ear at all. Wait until inflammation has subsided which will be about 2 days.
    Shake the bottle each time before using. Flood the ear with solution (gently squirt bottle), massage gently to the count of 60, wipe with a tissue. Flood again on first treatment, wipe with a tissue, and leave alone without massage. The dog will shake out the excess which can be wiped with a tissue, the Gentian Violet does stain fabrics.
    SCHEDULE OF TREATMENT
    Treat 2x per day for the first week to two weeks depending upon severity of ears
    Treat 1x per day for the next 1-2 weeks
    Treat 1x per month (or even less frequently, depending on the dog)
    All of these ingredients should be available at a pharmacy. The Boric Acid Powder soothes the ear. The Gentian Violet Solution is an anti-infection agent. The solution appears to work well on any and all ear problems from mites to wax to canker. After the second or third you can clean out the ear with a Q-tip or cotton balls. Their success rate for this treatment is 95-99%. Those who do not succeed have usually not done the treatment long enough or have not been regular about it.
    Dogs on the verge of ear canal surgery have been returned to normal with only the regular follow-up treatment to keep the ear healthy. If an infection seems to be remaining in the treated ear after the above course of treatment, you may also have some Pseudomonas bacteria in the site. This can be eradicated by using a gentle flush of raw apple cider vinegar and water (warm). Use 2 Tablespoons of vinegar to one cup of water, 2x per week.
    They have found the Blue Power Solution to be effective for treating fungus-type infections on the feet and elsewhere on the dog, for cuts on dogs or people, and for hot spots. You may find other uses for this simple anti-infective agent. Remember it is for external use only and be careful not to get into the eyes.
    It as cleared up her ears so neat and dry and nothng since, all very well healed, no scratching till bloody, nothing but nice clean ear healed well.
    A DOG IS THE ONLY THING ON EARTH THAN WILL LOVE YOU MORE THAN HE LOVES HIMSELF.

    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 30 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

  9. #9
    New Member TheLWangster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    2

    Talking =)

    Thank you for all the advice, but since january Lucky suddenly got much much better. I think it may have been because of the colder weather that killed any bugs. I'm pretty sure she's fully recovered now! Thanks again!

  10. #10
    Manager JGallo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    35,757

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TheLWangster
    Thank you for all the advice, but since january Lucky suddenly got much much better. I think it may have been because of the colder weather that killed any bugs. I'm pretty sure she's fully recovered now! Thanks again!
    Well as long as she's alright. Sometimes symptoms come and go and we never know why. As long as it didn't persist.

    I'm sure you'll keep an eye on her.
    Jill Gallo /Manager
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 30 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

    The Petsforums Management Team


    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 30 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 30 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •