Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Baby aspirin for cats (on vet's advice ONLY)

Default Baby aspirin for cats (on vet's advice ONLY)

My vet has recommended that if Ootay shows signs of stiffness and pain I should give her 1/4 baby aspirin every three to four days.

I told her I'd always believed that aspirin is poison to cats, but the vet prefers I do this instead of trying the metacam or any other potentially harmful nonsteroidal.

The cosequin has been working fine but today she is very stiff and seeming in pain. I decided to try the aspirin, but then I see the box I bought said "childrens" aspirin not "baby asprin". Is there a difference? Is baby aspirin an even lower dose?

Has anyone else used aspirin for their cats?

Gail
    Last edited by DianeP; 01-28-2006 at 09:06 PM. Reason: Clarify title

Quote Originally Posted by GailS
    My vet has recommended that if Ootay shows signs of stiffness and pain I should give her 1/4 baby aspirin every three to four days.

I told her I'd always believed that aspirin is poison to cats, but the vet prefers I do this instead of trying the metacam or any other potentially harmful nonsteroidal.

The cosequin has been working fine but today she is very stiff and seeming in pain. I decided to try the aspirin, but then I see the box I bought said "childrens" aspirin not "baby asprin". Is there a difference? Is baby aspirin an even lower dose?

Gail
    I know it can be used in dogs (with vet supervision) but I've never heard of it being used in cats. Of course, I'm not a vet so I'm really not qualified to answer. I've only ever heard of children's aspirin too, I've never heard of a baby aspirin.

Maybe Dr. Gus can chime in?
    Jill Gallo /Manager
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 30 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The Petsforums Management Team

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 30 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Gail
    This is a double edged sword because other people will read this and think it's okay to use aspirin in cats. So first the disclaimer: NEVER USE ASPIRIN FOR CATS UNLESS IT'S ON THE ADVICE OF YOUR VET. Now with that said, yes you can use the children's aspirin, I believe the dosage is 81 mg, check with your vet - I am sure Dr. Gus will jump in here. I always keep a bottle on hand for emergencies as it can be a life save in bringing down a fever. The problem is that cats do not metabolize aspirin well and you can not give it two days in a row as it builds up in the cats body.

I can give you an example that happened to me just a few months ago. I came home and Princess Leia was just not acting normal. Her ears felt warm to me so I proceeded (with MUCH difficulty) to take her temperature. It was 105.5. It was 7:30 pm so I placed a call to my vet. He and I talked and he said to give her a baby aspirin and if we couldn't get her temperature down in a couple of hours he would meet me at the office. It worked and I was able to avoid having my vet come in and instead was able to take her to the office the next morning. It was a virus and she got over it very quickly.

Never give anything like Tylenol to a cat, it will kill, and really the very best advice is never give anything unless your vet tells you to.
    Janice

If you touch me, You'll know what happiness is
    Trevor Nunn, T S Eliot, Andrew Lloyd Webber

Dear Janice,

Thank you very much for your reply. The vet did say ONE QUARTER of a "baby" aspirin at least three days apart. I wanted to give it this morning, but wanted to hear what other people said first, and now I have to go out, so I do not want to give it to her when I am not around to watch her.

The vet said to watch for vomiting or bringing up blood, it is not likely, but that would indicate to never give it to her again.

I thought to give it to her with her dose of metamucil, as she lets me give her that, it would be an easy way to pill her. However I wonder if the metamuciil would interfere with her getting any of the pain reliever benefits.
    Do you ahve any thoughts on that?

thanks, Gail

Quote Originally Posted by Mountain-mama
    This is a double edged sword because other people will read this and think it's okay to use aspirin in cats. So first the disclaimer: NEVER USE ASPIRIN FOR CATS UNLESS IT'S ON THE ADVICE OF YOUR VET. Now with that said, yes you can use the children's aspirin, I believe the dosage is 81 mg, check with your vet - I am sure Dr. Gus will jump in here. I always keep a bottle on hand for emergencies as it can be a life save in bringing down a fever. The problem is that cats do not metabolize aspirin well and you can not give it two days in a row as it builds up in the cats body.

I can give you an example that happened to me just a few months ago. I came home and Princess Leia was just not acting normal. Her ears felt warm to me so I proceeded (with MUCH difficulty) to take her temperature. It was 105.5. It was 7:30 pm so I placed a call to my vet. He and I talked and he said to give her a baby aspirin and if we couldn't get her temperature down in a couple of hours he would meet me at the office. It worked and I was able to avoid having my vet come in and instead was able to take her to the office the next morning. It was a virus and she got over it very quickly.

Never give anything like Tylenol to a cat, it will kill, and really the very best advice is never give anything unless your vet tells you to.

Gail,

These are question your vet can best answer. Most vets do not mind at all a telephone call on questions like this. Just check with the vet that he was talking about an 81 mg aspirin.
    Janice

If you touch me, You'll know what happiness is
    Trevor Nunn, T S Eliot, Andrew Lloyd Webber

Quote Originally Posted by Mountain-mama
    This is a double edged sword because other people will read this and think it's okay to use aspirin in cats. So first the disclaimer: NEVER USE ASPIRIN FOR CATS UNLESS IT'S ON THE ADVICE OF YOUR VET.
    I edited the title of the thread to make sure no one misundertands.
    Diane and Cicero - Sr. Manager
    :

Gail
    I think the baby aspirin are the little pink ones.
    Karen A/Publicist

Quote Originally Posted by KarenA
    I think the baby aspirin are the little pink ones.
    They're the same dose as children's asprin, as well as the enteric coated asprin I use for preventive therapy. 81 mg each. (No idea why they don't round it off to a more-rational sounding 80 mg...) The big difference is that the baby/children's asprin are flavored, while the others are not.

If it's going to be a regular therapy for a while, any pharmacy can set you up with a little pill cutter that makes it much easier to divide the doses. Shouldn't cost more than a dollar, if that much.
    Eliyahu Rooff

Quote Originally Posted by EliyahuRooff
    They're the same dose as children's asprin, as well as the enteric coated asprin I use for preventive therapy. 81 mg each. (No idea why they don't round it off to a more-rational sounding 80 mg...) The big difference is that the baby/children's asprin are flavored, while the others are not.

If it's going to be a regular therapy for a while, any pharmacy can set you up with a little pill cutter that makes it much easier to divide the doses. Shouldn't cost more than a dollar, if that much.
    Thank you I have pill cutters. The aspirin is ONLY for if she is in obvious distress with arthitis pain, and then ONLY every three or four days. As it turned out I never gave it to her because I had to leave and wouldn't have been able to watch her. Today she seems a little steadier on her feet. She's very constipated and that is what is causing the discomfort I think. I might give her one today (!/4 of an 81 mg tablet) maybe she'll be able to poop if she doesn't have any pain. I massaged her belly and abdomen for a long time last night, hoping to get things moving for her. This morning I gave her some warm "gruel" (which is just Fancy Feast "chopped grill" mixed in warm water) hoping to get things moving. The poor thing, by the time she goes it will be so much she's really going to have to strain. I hate to have to put her on medication for it, but the metamucil is just not doing it for her anymore.

Maybe if I give her the 1/4 baby aspirin it will help.
    Gail

In an otherwise healthy cat, 1/4 baby aspirin every 3-4 days is usually tolerated well. As others have posted, this should only be done under veterinary supervision, as aspirin can kill (about 10,000 people die each year from aspirin -- not aspirin overdose, just aspirin). Watch for vomiting, blood in the stool (red or black), pale gums, bruising on the skin, gums, or whites of the eyes. Aspirin doesn't "thin" the blood, it prevents clotting (among other things).

One major precaution when administering aspirin to cats -- NEVER GIVE ASPIRIN AND ANY OTHER NSAID OR STEROID TOGETHER!!!!! Side effects can be serious or fatal. For instance, you need to discontinue aspirin for 10-14 days before starting a drug like Metacam. The same if your cat is on a steroid.

Tylenol is deadly poison to cats.
    Dr. Gus

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast