Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My dogs swallowed some cooked rib bones whole

Default My dogs swallowed some cooked rib bones whole

Just a while ago my dogs each swallowed a rib bone whole, that were about four inches long, and maybe an inch thick. They were cooked bones, and they didn't even try to chew them, just swallowed whole. The bones are pretty solid though, and don't seem to be the type to splinter. I'm really scared and can't believe that they did this. They aren't necessarily small dogs. They're Brittany Spaniels, one is full grown and weighs over 40lbs, and the other is a puppy and might weight 15-20lbs or so.

So..What should I do? I have no way of contacting a vet right now, so I've turned to the internet for help. Will they be able to digest these bones? Or, is there something I could feed them that would aid them in digesting..?

Thanks, any help is appreciated!!

Since they're whole... well, hard to say. I'd really advise calling an emergency number for vets in your area to find out what to do. They may be able to help you and advise you on what to do & where to go.

The thing is, making the dogs throw up could just increase the chances of the bone perforating the throat or something. Letting it go through.... same problem. May go through, may not, may perforate the intestines, may not.

I'd call a vet.

I'm not aware of anything you can do to help things along except for... hm.... feeding bread, which may help wrap the sharp edges & push things through. Give each dog four or five slices. I hope that's the right advice to give you, and I'm basing that on the fact that if a dog has eaten glass, people will use cotton balls (REAL cotton, not the fake cotton balls) and, I think, oil of some kind. Check the internet using broken glass and cotton balls to see if you can find out what exactly they do.

Good luck. Come back & let us know how things turn out, ok?
    Kim Laird,Senior Manager
    The Pets Forums Management Team

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 30 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 30 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote Originally Posted by cfrierson
    Just a while ago my dogs each swallowed a rib bone whole, that were about four inches long, and maybe an inch thick. They were cooked bones, and they didn't even try to chew them, just swallowed whole. The bones are pretty solid though, and don't seem to be the type to splinter. I'm really scared and can't believe that they did this. They aren't necessarily small dogs. They're Brittany Spaniels, one is full grown and weighs over 40lbs, and the other is a puppy and might weight 15-20lbs or so.

So..What should I do? I have no way of contacting a vet right now, so I've turned to the internet for help. Will they be able to digest these bones? Or, is there something I could feed them that would aid them in digesting..?

Do please call the vet for advise as soon as you can. Most vets have an emergency number, or you can contact a 24-hour vet. I had a dog swallow a rib bone many years ago with no consequences, but it's better to be safe.
    Diane and Cicero - Sr. Manager
    :

Smile

You could get some of the doggie digestive enzymes at the pet food store and hope that helps. I know Dr. Goodpet is carried in the health food store and in Petco.

Or you could try some human digestive enzymes. I don't know which particular enzyme works on what and I'm not much help since I just lost my cat last night but that is an idea that I was going to post to you about before I read your whole post.

If you have such enzymes at home it certainly won't hurt to make the attempt. I wouldn't overload them on digestive enzymes but it's worth a try.

If they begin to dry vomit or retch though, that could be an indication that the bone is stuck.

Hopefully, "this too shall pass."

I will be taking them to the vet first thing in the morning, but I was advised tonight to give them canned pumpkin to help dissolve the bone. I gave them each a full can.

I will be taking them to the vet first thing in the morning, but I was advised tonight to give them canned pumpkin to help dissolve the bone. I gave them each a full can.
    They would have preferred you make them a whole pie!

Your pups probably think the pumpkin was dessert and will be expecting ribs and pumpkin pie from now on, if they're anything like my monsters. <g>

Good luck!

The pumpkin may also help things move along. I hope they're okay and I'm glad you're taking them to the vet in the morning. Let us know what happens.
    Karen A/Publicist

I'm late reading into this but please let me know how they are. Bones could splinter or get stuck somewhere in the dogs digestive track.

On the other hand, some have passed ok, but why take a chance.
    Jill Gallo /Manager

The Petsforums Management Team

Call the vet. Neither added digestive enzymes nor pumpkin will digest the bones.
    Dr. Gus

A full can of pumpkin? That doesn't sound like a good idea.

You really need to get them to a vet now.I can't figure out why you think pumpkin or digestive enzymes would help. Bone has to sit in vinegar for three days to start getting rubbery, and there's no chance that bones would sit in anything inside the digestive tract long enough to dissolve or get soft or anything like that.
    Kim Laird,Senior Manager
    The Pets Forums Management Team

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast