Thread: Bunny with a broken leg

Default Bunny with a broken leg

Hello,

This is my first time posting here.
    I really hope someone can give me some advice.
    My bunny broke her leg yesterday. I was trying to clip her nails and she twisted her body and I'm very sure that her right front leg is broken. She is not able to put her weight on the leg. She didn't eat for couple of hours yesterday after it happend but she's eatting now and she seems ok. I'm sure she is in alot of pain though. I want to take her to a vet immediately but I don't know if I can afford the cost and I may have to wait for a couple weeks til I can take her to a vet. I don't know what to do... Is there anything I can do in a mean while so it doesn't get any worse? Can I give her anything for the pain? Can she die from a broken leg? I'm sorry for asking so many questions... I really love her and I just feel so awful that I can't do anything for her now.

Please help,

Jenny

Quote Originally Posted by ireepie
    Hello,

My bunny broke her leg yesterday. I was trying to clip her nails and she twisted her body and I'm very sure that her right front leg is broken. She is not able to put her weight on the leg. She didn't eat for couple of hours yesterday after it happend but she's eatting now and she seems ok. I'm sure she is in alot of pain though. I want to take her to a vet immediately but I don't know if I can afford the cost and I may have to wait for a couple weeks til I can take her to a vet. I don't know what to do... Is there anything I can do in a mean while so it doesn't get any worse? Can I give her anything for the pain? Can she die from a broken leg? I'm sorry for asking so many questions... I really love her and I just feel so awful that I can't do anything for her now.

Please help,

Jenny

Jenny, I don't know much about buns other than what I've read here. However, waiting to see the vet seems to me to put your bunny in a potentially bad situation. Please phone the vet and at least ask what the implications of waiting might be. And also ask if you can pay the cost over time since you don't have all the money now.
    Karen A/Publicist

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 30 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Hello,

Please help,

Jenny
    Jenny,
    If you think the bunny's leg is broken then you really need to get her to the vet. A broken bone will start to heal, and if it's not in the right position, they'll have to rebreak it to set it. That would cost you even more money than taking her there right now. Not to mention the pain you'll be putting your bunny through.

Best case scenario is that it's not broken, only sprained, and maybe they can give you some medication for it.

Please call your vet. Maybe they can put you on a payment plan.

Do what's best for your bunny.
    Jill Gallo /Manager
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 30 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The Petsforums Management Team

Hello,

Please help,

Jenny
    As the others have pointed out, it's something that needs medical attention immediately. Bunnies feel pain just as we do, and if you've ever had a broken bone, you know how painful it is. Not all vets insist on payment up front, and most will make arrangements for payment if you don't have the cash. Pets react differently to pain meds, and you'll need the vet's advice on how to deal with it. Give him a call first thing in the morning, please.
    Eliyahu Rooff

I would do the same as everyone else is mentioning and take your bunny to the vet. I remember years ago I noticed that my rat was limping and I saw that her ankle was swollen. I didnt know how she did it but she could not walk on it and I thought it was broken. I took her to the vet and they said that it was a very bad sprain and she was in a lot of pain so they had to give her an injection. She was fine afterwards but If I had not have taken her she would have suffered for weeks. Ring tomorro and see if you can get an appointment
    Caroline as well as.......
    Tweety the budgie, Charlie the rabbit and Pipper, Jez and Saba the rats