Thread: cat spayed has now busted a stitch

Default cat spayed has now busted a stitch

i had my two cats spayed today and one of them would not sit still you wouldnt have thought she had had any surgery at all. I tried everything to keep her still even putting her in her cat cage (which i hate doing it because she hates it). Anyway i let her out to have a drink some food and use the kitty litter she jumped up onto the lounge while i wasnt looking and busted her one stitch the hole is smaller then a thumb tack i have contacted the after hours vet and they have told me unless it is protruding anything or bleeding alot then it can wait till morning. Nuthing is protruding and it only bled for a few moments and not alot she isnt in pain and is eating and drinking as normal i am worried do you all agree with the vet or should i have it restitched now it is now 10 pm where i am.

Quote Originally Posted by kitty21
    i had my two cats spayed today and one of them would not sit still you wouldnt have thought she had had any surgery at all. I tried everything to keep her still even putting her in her cat cage (which i hate doing it because she hates it). Anyway i let her out to have a drink some food and use the kitty litter she jumped up onto the lounge while i wasnt looking and busted her one stitch the hole is smaller then a thumb tack i have contacted the after hours vet and they have told me unless it is protruding anything or bleeding alot then it can wait till morning. Nuthing is protruding and it only bled for a few moments and not alot she isnt in pain and is eating and drinking as normal i am worried do you all agree with the vet or should i have it restitched now it is now 10 pm where i am.
    I would stick with what you were advised by the vets, and wait until the morning. Of course if she breaks more, or the hole gets bigger, then I would get her to an emergency vet.
    Jill Gallo /Manager
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 30 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The Petsforums Management Team

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 30 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I agree is she breaks another stitch or two, and there is a discharge in the break, then immediate care is necessary. But, you also indicate to others just how fast a cat can bounce back from spaying, which is major surgery.

My youngest cat self-treated herself after her spaying. She went upstairs, under the bed, and slept. The next morning, it was like nothing had happened. She did later tug on her stitches a bit, but it had already healed and she did no harm.

There was only 1 outer stitch in it because the incision was only very tiny about a centremetre or less. We are about to pop off to the vets to have her re stitched. I put her in her cat cage overnight with a sheet over it to stop her from jumping.

The other girl that i had desexed at the same time has done nuthing but sleep and mope since it has been done she is actually moping because i took her to the vets. The last time she went to the vets was about a month ago for a checkup and she wouldnt come near me for a week.

Quote Originally Posted by kitty21
    There was only 1 outer stitch in it because the incision was only very tiny about a centremetre or less. We are about to pop off to the vets to have her re stitched. I put her in her cat cage overnight with a sheet over it to stop her from jumping.

The other girl that i had desexed at the same time has done nuthing but sleep and mope since it has been done she is actually moping because i took her to the vets. The last time she went to the vets was about a month ago for a checkup and she wouldnt come near me for a week.
    Cats react differently to going to the vet and to anesthesia. How did it go at the vet's this morning? Is the incision okay?
    Diane and Cicero - Sr. Manager
    :

Senior Member margaretjablonska's Avatar

i am suprised they let You bring cat home ...my bilbo has to stay for a night at spay and neuter clicnic of course next day she was like nothing has happened....

It is most common for you to either bring in your cat the night before, or early in the morning, and then pick up your cat later that day. They will usually be quiet when you bring them home, and the next morning it is like nothing happened.

i took her early in the morning and picked her up at 4pm same day

all went well with the vet this morning they put a new stitch in but it had already closed up so the stitch wasnt actually neccesary but they thought it would be a good idea in case she busts open what is already healed.

she is still impossible to keep still she is a little bit of a silly cat where as my other one is kinda snooty and a little overdramatic.

she is in and out of the cat cage at the moment i let her out for about a half hour every coupled of hours or she may end up busting this stitch and what has healed. The vet says give it another couple of days and then she can resume her normal activity which is turning my house into a nut house.

Senior Member margaretjablonska's Avatar

don't they give them those neck things
    (like lamp shade) for really bed girls?

they said my cats would not need them because they were so quiet at the vets. They arnt licking at them just one is jumping around like a nutter i have managed to calm her down a bit. The stitch that was put in hasnt broken and still appears very strong. She broke her cat cage i could hear this banging and when i went in there the cage was on the wrong side and she had kicked the door open broke the doors hinges she really doesnt like her cage.vso now im up for the cost of a new cage so far this desexing is gonna cost me nearly double of what it should.