Thread: What is the Healthiest and Longest lived dog breed?

Default What is the Healthiest and Longest lived dog breed?

I was wonder what dog has the healthiest and longest life? I've heard before that it was the English Cocker Spaniel. I've also heard that the Fox Terriers were also very healthy and lived long.

What do you guys think?

Quote Originally Posted by GoldenRetrieverLover
    I was wonder what dog has the healthiest and longest life? I've heard before that it was the English Cocker Spaniel. I've also heard that the Fox Terriers were also very healthy and lived long.

What do you guys think?
    I really don't know which dog has the longest life expectancy. I know that little dogs do live longer. I thought I remember reading a post from someone here that mentioned a breed that lives close to 20, but I don't remember what it was.
    Jill Gallo /Manager
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 30 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The Petsforums Management Team

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 30 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Hands down, it is the toy & miniature poodles who are the longest lived dogs of the breeds. I've actually met a toy Poodle who was 19 years old.

I can't say as to the healthiest. Dogs and people can live long lives without being particularly healthy, although it is true that healthy animals (whether human or not) probably live the longest lives.

Contrary to popular thought, there've been SOME studies that show that the mixed breed dog isn't necessarily healthier than the pure bred dog. Or so I've read. But we all know what "they" say about what you read in the media.
    Kim Laird,Senior Manager
    The Pets Forums Management Team

DOes anyone know how long a Labrador should live? Does it have a long life span?

Sorry to disagree kiddo but statistically the Schipperke has the reputation for longevity in the dog kingdom. Nicky's breeder told me that once they pass 20 years or so they begin to slow down but she'd known them to live to 25 or so.

Unfortunately my own Schips fell victim to circumstances beyond our control and didn't make it quite that far but I think our situation was unusual. One died at 14 and the other at age 11 but neither one was showing any signs of approaching middle age, they didn't have a gray hair on them!
    Marg Little, Senior Manager

"She was not quite what you would call refined. She was not quite what you would call unrefined. She was the kind of person that keeps a parrot."
    - Mark Twain

Sparky,

Labs tend to have lifespans of something between 10-15 years of age. I'm including the extremes of the range, btw. I have known of Labs that only lived to be 8, and some that lived to be 16.
    Kim Laird,Senior Manager

Marg,

The moment I saw your name on the list, I thought, "Oh no! I forgot about Schipperkes!" Truly!

And yes, the Little Captains are indeed a very long-lived breed in general. I'd have to say some of the terrier breeds, especially the JRTs can be fairly long lived too, but the Schipperke takes the cake on that one.
    Kim Laird,Senior Manager

Quote Originally Posted by MargL
    Sorry to disagree kiddo but statistically the Schipperke has the reputation for longevity in the dog kingdom. Nicky's breeder told me that once they pass 20 years or so they begin to slow down but she'd known them to live to 25 or so.

Unfortunately my own Schips fell victim to circumstances beyond our control and didn't make it quite that far but I think our situation was unusual. One died at 14 and the other at age 11 but neither one was showing any signs of approaching middle age, they didn't have a gray hair on them!
    That was the breed someone mentioned as living to be 20. I knew I had heard it somewhere, but couldn't remember where.

Thanks for refreshing my memory.
    Last edited by JGallo; 07-30-2013 at 11:51 PM.
    Jill Gallo /Manager

The Petsforums Management Team

It seems like every year when Westminster is aired on TV the announcers are at a loss as to how to comment on the Schips. Inevitably the only thing they can think of to say is "The Schipperke is noted for its extremely long life span". Someday I really am going to send them a book about Schips! ;-)
    Marg Little, Senior Manager

"She was not quite what you would call refined. She was not quite what you would call unrefined. She was the kind of person that keeps a parrot."
    - Mark Twain

Havanese

This is a very healthy long-lived breed, however, all long-lived breeds eventually have health problems. Some are prone to PRA, cataracts, luxating patellas, poodle eye and dry skin.

It lives about 14-15 years.