Thread: Black Spots (Bugs) - Tips of My Cats Ears

Red face Black Spots (Bugs) - Tips of My Cats Ears

Good Morning

My cat has little black bugs on the tips of her ears. When I remove them (with my fingers) she of course freaks out. Visually, it looks like a large black spot on various locations on the tips of her ears.

Are these ear mites or another type of parasite? (spelling??)

The literature I've read identifies mites as looking like coffee grinds IN a cats ears and down in the canals of the ears.

Please advise.

Thank you,

Quote Originally Posted by mtrotter
    Good Morning

My cat has little black bugs on the tips of her ears. When I remove them (with my fingers) she of course freaks out. Visually, it looks like a large black spot on various locations on the tips of her ears.

The literature I've read identifies mites as looking like coffee grinds IN a cats ears and down in the canals of the ears.

Please advise.

Thank you,
    Hi and welcome to the forum. If the bugs are large, they're probably not mites, unless it's a "group" of mites clustered together that looks like the coffee grounds you describe. It could be ticks -- does she go outside? are they stuck to the ears? I's really impossible to tell over the internet. If she's freaking out when you remove them, they could be some sort of scab. Best to take her to the vet ASAP and get a professional opinion on this one, especially if they might be ticks -- even if they're mites, they really need a vet's attention for the best results.

DianeP (not a vet)
    Diane and Cicero - Sr. Manager
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 30 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    :

Good Morning

Please advise.

Thank you,
    It could also be flea droppings. I'd take her to the vet and get her checked out.
    Jill Gallo /Manager
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 30 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The Petsforums Management Team

Thank you for your message.

The little bugs are stuck to the tips of her ears. They look like little black bugs not coffee grinds.

Yes, she does go outside - big mistake. I live up in the mountains so who knows whats out there.

I am taking her to the groomers this weekend to have her bathed and I ordered on-line the medication REVOLUTION which apparently takes care of fleas, ticks, ear mites and a bunch of other stuff.

Can I use a antiseptic pad to wipe her ears after I remove the bugs -or- is this not a good idea?

Thumbs down

I did some research on-line and I believe the bugs on the tips of her ears are ticks.

There are alot of deer where I live, so...

When I remove the bugs, blood appears. Bad thing, I have been using my fingers instead of tweezers (of course, I wash my hands thoroughly afterwards). I'm hoping that at this point, in removing the bugs, I haven't caught something.

I'm hoping that by having her bathed, keeping her indoors, and putting the REVOLUTION medication on her that everything will be OK.

Really don't have the money right now to go to the vet after buying the medication and having her bathed and groomed.

What a mess!!!

I did some research on-line and I believe the bugs on the tips of her ears are ticks.

When I remove the bugs, blood appears. Bad thing, I have been using my fingers instead of tweezers (of course, I wash my hands thoroughly afterwards). I'm hoping that at this point, in removing the bugs, I haven't caught something.

I'm hoping that by having her bathed, keeping her indoors, and putting the REVOLUTION medication on her that everything will be OK.

Really don't have the money right now to go to the vet after buying the medication and having her bathed and groomed.

What a mess!!!
    It does sound like ticks. Get them all cleaned off the cat and keep her indoors -- once you take them off, do others appear? You'll have to be vigilant until you can get the Revolution on her.

How big are they? Be sure to check yourself as well, in case any have gotten on you. Yes, it's a mess, but bathing, keeping her indoors and the Revolution will definitely prevent a recurrence.

Keep us posted!
    Diane and Cicero - Sr. Manager
    :

What a mess!!!
    You should spend your money at the vet first to find out the nature of the problem, then get a specific treatment so you don't waste your money on the incorrect product.

What you are seeing could certainly be ticks, but since you aren't familiar with them there are a number of things that may be confusingly similar. I've seen people bring in a wide variety of "ticks" that they pulled off their pet for me to examine so they could pick up a product for ticks; some of the non-tick things they pulled off their pets included flea dirt, moles, warts, and two nipples (ouch!!).

If your cat does indeed have ticks, you completely wasted your money on Revolution because it has no effect on ticks whatsoever. It does fleas, heartworms, ear mites, roundworms, and hookworms. It doesn't do ticks.

http://www.revolution4cats.com/displ...ies=FL&sec=100

You need to see your vet, get an accurate diagnosis, and treat with the appropriate product.
    Dr. Gus