Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Alcohol for Ear Mites?

Default Alcohol for Ear Mites?

Hello everyone. Precious is dealing with another flare up of ear mites. Anyway, a friend recommended that I swab her ears out with rubbing alcohol because that would kill the ear mites. However, I have some reservations about doing that as I am afraid it might be harmful to her. So, I thought I'd ask here. Is it a safe home remedy?

Quote Originally Posted by ZooGirl02
    Hello everyone. Precious is dealing with another flare up of ear mites. Anyway, a friend recommended that I swab her ears out with rubbing alcohol because that would kill the ear mites. However, I have some reservations about doing that as I am afraid it might be harmful to her. So, I thought I'd ask here. Is it a safe home remedy?
    I'd hate to put anything in the cat's ears without instructions from a vet first, and I don't think alcohol cures ear mites. If it did, they wouldn't be selling special ear mite meds. What does the vet normally give you to use in her ears?
    Diane and Cicero - Sr. Manager
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 30 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    :

I agree with Diane, I would not recommend putting something in the cats ears that has not been approved by the vet. And IMO, I would never use alcohol on a cat for any reason. You need to find out why she keeps getting the mites. Does she go outside?

You might want to ask the vet about Revolution. It's one of the topical (put on the skin) flea medicines, but it also prevents ear mites. And Precious's vet will need to know about this repeat problem, so she/he can help you solve it once and for all. One other thing. Are you sure it's ear mites and not a yeast infection? Another reason to check with the vet. The vet may want to see her.

Gail

Don't do it, alcohol doesn't cure ear mites and will be very painful when it hits any raw lesions deep in the ear canal. Talk with your vet. First you need to make certain it is ear mites and not a bacterial or yeast infection, could be both, and then treat with something specific for the problem. If it is a simple ear mite infestation and your cat is an indoor cat two treatments with Acarexx will clear up the problem permanently. If you let your cat outdoors it will continue to catch ear mites, so you ought to use Revolution every month to clear them up each time since it will be a repeat problem.
    Dr. Gus

In dealing with a cat who has ear mites, a glass of an alcoholic drink works well for the servant, but no alcohol for the cat.

In dealing with ear mites, consult your vet and be aware that it can result in allergies, and resulting 'dirty ears'. In addition, bad ear mites can cause an infection, and antibiotics will be needed.

Cats ears are extremely sensitive, and it is not something you want to mess around with.

Suzi had severe ear mites when she was a kitten (rescued), and she now has build up in her ears that the vet has to clean on a regular basis.

Quote Originally Posted by DrGus
    Don't do it, alcohol doesn't cure ear mites and will be very painful when it hits any raw lesions deep in the ear canal. Talk with your vet. First you need to make certain it is ear mites and not a bacterial or yeast infection, could be both, and then treat with something specific for the problem. If it is a simple ear mite infestation and your cat is an indoor cat two treatments with Acarexx will clear up the problem permanently. If you let your cat outdoors it will continue to catch ear mites, so you ought to use Revolution every month to clear them up each time since it will be a repeat problem.
    Thanks DrGus for this information and thanks to everyone else for the information provided as well. I will not be using alcohol for her ear mites and I have not used it on her. The reason being that I was worried it would be very painful for her as someone else suggested.

Anyway, the last time I had to treat her for ear mites, the vet gave me some stuff called Mita-Clear which is manufactured by Pfizer. The problem was that I was not able to give her the treatment enough (three days in a row or something like that) to clear them up because she refused to let me put it in her ears so I kind of gave up. And then when she went to get spayed, I asked my veterinarian to clean her ears out because I thought it would get rid of the mites. Well, she was fine for a few weeks but then she started scratching again. And then we put her on Revolution for one month because we thought it would kill the mites and any eggs they lay but unfortunately she is still scratching her ears.

I looked in her ears and I could not see any mites anymore like I did before but she is still scratching them so I suppose it could be a yeast infection or a bacterial infection. I still have some Mita-Clear left so I am going to give her the treatment for a few days and see if that stops her scratching. If it doesn't, I'll be taking her to the vet within the next couple of weeks.

Thanks DrGus for this information and thanks to everyone else for the information provided as well. I will not be using alcohol for her ear mites and I have not used it on her. The reason being that I was worried it would be very painful for her as someone else suggested.

Anyway, the last time I had to treat her for ear mites, the vet gave me some stuff called Mita-Clear which is manufactured by Pfizer. The problem was that I was not able to give her the treatment enough (three days in a row or something like that) to clear them up because she refused to let me put it in her ears so I kind of gave up. And then when she went to get spayed, I asked my veterinarian to clean her ears out because I thought it would get rid of the mites. Well, she was fine for a few weeks but then she started scratching again. And then we put her on Revolution for one month because we thought it would kill the mites and any eggs they lay but unfortunately she is still scratching her ears.

I looked in her ears and I could not see any mites anymore like I did before but she is still scratching them so I suppose it could be a yeast infection or a bacterial infection. I still have some Mita-Clear left so I am going to give her the treatment for a few days and see if that stops her scratching. If it doesn't, I'll be taking her to the vet within the next couple of weeks.

Mita clear will not help with a yeast infection. Yeast can be difficult to get rid of so I would recommend getting her to the vet again , you really don't want to let it go, what ever it turns out to be.

Gail

The mita-clear seemed to burn my cats ears, so after a few days they sure didn't want that stuff in their ears. Ask you vet about Revolution it has worked well for my cats.
    Janice

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 30 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If you touch me, You'll know what happiness is
    Trevor Nunn, T S Eliot, Andrew Lloyd Webber

Quote Originally Posted by calicokitty
    In dealing with a cat who has ear mites, a glass of an alcoholic drink works well for the servant, but no alcohol for the cat.
    Don't forget a teaspoon of Rescue Remedy in that glass of J.W.B. for yourself. Want it to have a long lasting effect!!

In dealing with ear mites, consult your vet and be aware that it can result in allergies, and resulting 'dirty ears'. In addition, bad ear mites can cause an infection, and antibiotics will be needed.

Cats ears are extremely sensitive, and it is not something you want to mess around with.
    Putting alcohol in them .. let alone using a Q-tip to do it could lead to something bad for the cat and more likely for you! Don't forget the shredding abilities of those claws!

Suzi had severe ear mites when she was a kitten (rescued), and she now has build up in her ears that the vet has to clean on a regular basis.
    How are Suzi's ears now?

Bobby

That's why we don't use MitaClear any more. Acarexx is a treat-once product, occasionally have to repeat it long after cat has forgotten about it.
    Dr. Gus

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast