Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What does your cat's tail tell you?

Default What does your cat's tail tell you?

I found this interesting chart and was wondering what you all think about it in basis of what we know about the behavior of cats:

The link is here: http://www.messybeast.com/images/cat-chat3.png

So what do you think? The only thing I disagree with is the bristled tail does not always mean the cat is angry but sometimes it means the cat is scared.

I agree that a fluffed up tail does not mean anger all the time. I think it means more frightened or scared. I also disagree with the picture of potentially aggressive. Either that, or my cats are potentially aggressive alot of the time, and I know that is not the case.

WIth the straight-up tail, sometimes the tip hooks just because the tip hooks; I know a couple of cats who cannot completely straighten their tail even when they're quivering. And I agree on the bristled-tail meaning fear as well as agression. Other than that, I think they're pretty good.
    Cassy
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 30 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    and Sebastian-da-Ninja-Kittee
    Staff - Cat Care & Behavior
    Roving Staff - Cats Forums

Cicero fluffs up his tail when he's playing chase and wants to look big and scary!!!
    Diane and Cicero - Sr. Manager
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 30 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    :

Quote Originally Posted by CasCat
    WIth the straight-up tail, sometimes the tip hooks just because the tip hooks; I know a couple of cats who cannot completely straighten their tail even when they're quivering. And I agree on the bristled-tail meaning fear as well as agression. Other than that, I think they're pretty good.
    With my crew, a hooked over tip is a friendly and enthusiastic greeting, given only to my husband and myself. A straight up tail seems to indicate friendly interest, such as with trusted friends and visitors.

PS Good find!
    "There are indeed monsters under the bed"
    Ciao Ciao Spookie, sweet little grey girl (23 March 2006 - 12 May 2014)

Quote Originally Posted by calicokitty
    I agree that a fluffed up tail does not mean anger all the time. I think it means more frightened or scared. I also disagree with the picture of potentially aggressive. Either that, or my cats are potentially aggressive alot of the time, and I know that is not the case.
    Same here, for mine it is more a state of neutrality. So going by this, I suppose it could be potentially aggressive, or potentially anything for that matter!
    "There are indeed monsters under the bed"
    Ciao Ciao Spookie, sweet little grey girl (23 March 2006 - 12 May 2014)

I agree, Mazy's tail is often in the "potentially agressiv" pose, and all it emans is she wants me to chase her. And her tail never stops moving, but as that can indcate interest I guess that fits my busy nosey MAzy!

Ootay's big fluffy tail kind of floats in the air as she trots around, and Tolly's tail is a member of the family.

Gail

I agree. my kitten does that when he is playing.

I decided to do a test. Katie usually walks with her tail in the 'potentially aggressive' position. But simply pet her, and the tail immediately raises. That is why I take issue with that picture of tail position.

But, what is not pictured is what I saw a couple of time, which is a selective tail fluffing! Angel has fluffed only portions of her tail several times when frightened, and it is a laugh riot.

I decided to do a test. Katie usually walks with her tail in the 'potentially aggressive' position. But simply pet her, and the tail immediately raises. That is why I take issue with that picture of tail position.

But, what is not pictured is what I saw a couple of time, which is a selective tail fluffing! Angel has fluffed only portions of her tail several times when frightened, and it is a laugh riot.
    I get that phenonemon here too. Mazy will puff just the end where she's attached to her tail. Very funny to see her body, then a bit of puffed tail, then the long ringed part still normal, waving around. Bibbs (rb)used to puff up just the tip and I called it her club tail. Hilarious. Cats tails are a never ending souce of amusement in this house!

Gail

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast