Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 32

Thread: How old are your cooking spices?

  1. #1
    Senior Member calicokitty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    suburban Philadelphia
    Posts
    21,553

    Default How old are your cooking spices?

    Just a handy site if you have bought McCormick spices, and want to know when they were packaged, and how long they still retain their freshness.

    http://www.mccormick.com/freshflavor

    Even if you didn't get their spices, there is a suggested expiration date for various spices, and hints on how to tell of they will still work for you.

    I checked mine, and needless to say, it is good that I don't depend on spices for my food flavors. Although I think they still work all right.

    A hint: if they are in rectangular tins, they are at least 15 years old, and also if they listed Baltimore as the location.

    (One of my tins listed 29 cents as the purchase price! It was not McCormick, so I can't find out the age. I think I don't really want to know, but it also was not a spice.)

  2. #2
    Senior Member GailS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Northern Catskill Mountains
    Posts
    17,418

    Default

    Well, in my cupbaord there is: celery salt, garlic powder, onion powder, paprika and cinnamon. All were bought when I first moved in 8 years and one month ago. The celery salt and garlic powder are about half gone, the rest are hardly used. I don't use them much, LOL! I also have white pepper which is new, I use it in my potato soup. I never would have believed I would ever be able to eat ANYTHING with the word pepper in it, but somehow I ended up liking a bit of white pepper in my potato soup.

    Gaikl

  3. #3
    Senior Member 4Kitties's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Northeast US
    Posts
    205

    Default

    I guess the ones I use are current. As for the others...
    Take Care,
    -Janette (Monet
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 30 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    , Zoe
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 30 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    , Scout, and Isis) and Summer

  4. #4
    Staff - Cats & Community MW&MW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    British Columbia, Canada
    Posts
    7,921

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by calicokitty
    Just a handy site if you have bought McCormick spices, and want to know when they were packaged, and how long they still retain their freshness.

    http://www.mccormick.com/freshflavor

    Even if you didn't get their spices, there is a suggested expiration date for various spices, and hints on how to tell of they will still work for you.

    I checked mine, and needless to say, it is good that I don't depend on spices for my food flavors. Although I think they still work all right.

    A hint: if they are in rectangular tins, they are at least 15 years old, and also if they listed Baltimore as the location.

    (One of my tins listed 29 cents as the purchase price! It was not McCormick, so I can't find out the age. I think I don't really want to know, but it also was not a spice.)
    According to your article, I think that my spice rack qualifies for a paleobotany exhibit. I win in the 15 year plus category. Some of the spice bottles still have packing tape stuck to them from when I moved to Vancouver from Edmonton 17 years ago. Guess I will keep them as at least they look nice in my spice rack. Obviously don't use them much. Strangely, the Cayenne Pepper still seems pretty hot to me.

    mw & mw
    Theo and the Bee and me

    Maggie Forever! (January 1988- June 19, 2010)
    Irving Always! (March 1987 - October 25, 1999)
    Vancouver, BC

  5. #5
    Senior Member calicokitty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    suburban Philadelphia
    Posts
    21,553

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MW&MW
    According to your article, I think that my spice rack qualifies for a paleobotany exhibit. I win in the 15 year plus category. Some of the spice bottles still have packing tape stuck to them from when I moved to Vancouver from Edmonton 17 years ago. Guess I will keep them as at least they look nice in my spice rack. Obviously don't use them much. Strangely, the Cayenne Pepper still seems pretty hot to me.

    mw & mw
    That's all right. I think some of my Baltimore packaged spices were done while Maryland was still a colony! LOL

  6. #6
    Staff - Cats & Community MW&MW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    British Columbia, Canada
    Posts
    7,921

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by calicokitty
    That's all right. I think some of my Baltimore packaged spices were done while Maryland was still a colony! LOL
    Hmm, I think I see some cash generating potential here. Spices from the 13 colonies. Ebay will be flooded with inquiries.

    mw & mw
    Theo and the Bee and me

    Maggie Forever! (January 1988- June 19, 2010)
    Irving Always! (March 1987 - October 25, 1999)
    Vancouver, BC

  7. #7
    Staff Yasmine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    In the land of Microsoft, mocha, and language...we brake for Starbucks.
    Posts
    13,532

    Default

    ROFL...am I the only one here who uses cooking herbs and spices a lot? After weeding out the ones I'm allergic to, I have (and use regularly, none in my cupboard are a year old since I go through them a lot):

    cinnamon
    cloves
    allspice
    poppyseed

    parsley
    basil
    thyme
    rosemary
    tarragon
    sage
    oregano
    marjoram
    dill weed
    mild paprika
    onion powder (not salt)
    lemon grass
    cilantro

    hazelnut extract
    peppermint extract
    maple flavoring

    I had to give up lemon pepper, black and red pepper, nutmeg and ginger, mace, lemon extract, and, as much as possible, vanilla.

    Sweeteners in the house: maple syrup, fruit concentrate sweetener, fructose, date sugar, maple sugar


    Yazza <who used 7 herbs before breakfast in her gluten free, maple-flavored pumpkin cookies and the turkey stew that is in the crockpot).
    Yasmine; Staff: Your First Cat.
    I love the smell of espresso in the morning.
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 30 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

    NYT, USA Today, and Publishers Weekly Bestselling urban fantasy author
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 30 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

    I miss all my Rainbow Bridge Gurlz...love to Meerclar,
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 30 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Luna ,
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 30 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Keeter ,
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 30 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Tara
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 30 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    , Circe
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 30 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 30 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

  8. #8
    Staff - Cats & Community MW&MW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    British Columbia, Canada
    Posts
    7,921

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Yasmine
    ROFL...am I the only one here who uses cooking herbs and spices a lot? After weeding out the ones I'm allergic to, I have (and use regularly, none in my cupboard are a year old since I go through them a lot):

    cinnamon
    cloves
    allspice
    poppyseed

    parsley
    basil
    thyme
    rosemary
    tarragon
    sage
    oregano
    marjoram
    dill weed
    mild paprika
    onion powder (not salt)
    lemon grass
    cilantro

    hazelnut extract
    peppermint extract
    maple flavoring

    I had to give up lemon pepper, black and red pepper, nutmeg and ginger, mace, lemon extract, and, as much as possible, vanilla.

    Sweeteners in the house: maple syrup, fruit concentrate sweetener, fructose, date sugar, maple sugar


    Yazza <who used 7 herbs before breakfast in her gluten free, maple-flavored pumpkin cookies and the turkey stew that is in the crockpot).
    Actually, we grow many of those in our garden:

    parsley
    basil
    thyme
    rosemary
    tarragon
    sage
    oregano
    marjoram
    dill weed
    cilantro

    We also have chili peppers to dry and have had a bumper crop of tomatoes, eggplants, zuchini, carrots, peas.

    Many of the herbs survive through the winter so we don't have to resort to bottled spices. The delicate ones like basil, we freeze or dry ourselves so we rarely need to use the bottled spice.

    mw & mw
    Theo and the Bee and me

    Maggie Forever! (January 1988- June 19, 2010)
    Irving Always! (March 1987 - October 25, 1999)
    Vancouver, BC

  9. #9
    Staff DianeP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Northern CA
    Posts
    39,995

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by calicokitty
    Just a handy site if you have bought McCormick spices, and want to know when they were packaged, and how long they still retain their freshness.

    http://www.mccormick.com/freshflavor

    Even if you didn't get their spices, there is a suggested expiration date for various spices, and hints on how to tell of they will still work for you.

    I checked mine, and needless to say, it is good that I don't depend on spices for my food flavors. Although I think they still work all right.

    A hint: if they are in rectangular tins, they are at least 15 years old, and also if they listed Baltimore as the location.

    (One of my tins listed 29 cents as the purchase price! It was not McCormick, so I can't find out the age. I think I don't really want to know, but it also was not a spice.)
    You ought to take some of those spices and get an appraisal at the Antiques Roadshow <GGG>!

    Since we just moved 5 years ago, none of my spices are older than that -- though some we probably purchased the week we moved in here. We go through spices fairly quickly, and I date them when I put them on the shelf, so none of them hangs around TOO long! Heck, 5 years is practically new!
    Diane and Cicero - Sr. Manager
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 30 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    :

  10. #10
    Senior Member calicokitty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    suburban Philadelphia
    Posts
    21,553

    Default

    I think the oldest can in my cabinet is cream of tarter, so it is not a spice. I have used it a few times when I have been beating egg whites. As everyone knows, just a dash of the yoke getting into the mix, and you have a battle on your hands to get a good whip. But, add a pinch of cream of tarter, and they beat up nicely. Except for vanilla, I don't think any of my spices are less than twenty years old. But I don't have too many.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •