Bird seed run

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bird seed run

Got my winter supply today. Part of that involves moving metal cans from above the garage, in which I store the seed. Good thing I checked, as they loaded the wrong sunflower seed into my car. I thought the bags were different. They were sunflowers with the shells, not the hearts. I will be feeding 100 pounds of sunflower hearts, 276 pounds of mixed seed with contains no sunflowers, and four pounds of thistle. The goldfinches love thistle, but they love the sunflower hearts even better, as no shucking of the shells. I got eight pounds last year, and had trouble getting rid of all of it at the end. The feeder array is up, but none of the feeders. I still start feeding Thanksgiving. Feeding will continue until late April or so. Last year, I had deer that licked up everything on the ground, so I wonder if that will happen this year also. I do get deer in my yard. No bears, thankfully. I have a sheet on the ground that I spread mixed seed on for the ground feeders.
    sigpic

The birds must love you!
    Diane and Cicero - Sr. Manager:

Comment

I feed year round and go through 20 pounds of sunflower seed (hulls on) and 20 to 30 pounds of mixed bird seed a month. I also maintain two suet feeders for the woodpeckers and other birds that prefer them. I finally had to hang the bird feeders where curly the deer couldn't reach them, she was getting expensive to feed. I did hang an old feeder don where she could reach it and just keep a couple of inches of feed in it for her. She just has to make do with the corn I put out like the rest of the rest of the deer.
      Last edited by Mountain-mama; 11-19-2020, 09:37 AM.

Comment

I have put up suet in the past, and even have the mesh bags, but it never was a hit. Even the woodpeckers preferred the sunflower hearts. Some years I have gotten a squirrel who has been able to make the very long leap onto the feeders. Since he jumps from a roof area, I have no way of blocking him.
        sigpic

Comment

"I have put up suet in the past, and even have the mesh bags, but it never was a hit. Even the woodpeckers preferred the sunflower hearts. Some years I have gotten a squirrel who has been able to make the very long leap onto the feeders. Since he jumps from a roof area, I have no way of blocking him."

The suet here is a big success, even some of the smaller birds such titmouse like them. The downy woodpeckers also prefer them. I can't leave them out at night as the raccoons will take them down and drag them into the woods. When I run low on suet feeders I take a hike into the woods looking for them, I found 4.

Comment

I have a satellite spinner that I have put up in the past for chickadees and titmouse, but in the last few years, no titmouse, and the chickadees go after the sunflower hearts and ignore the sunflower seeds in the spinner.
            sigpic

Comment

I gave up feeding the birds. All I had been accomplishing was creating a population of fat squirrels. Winter here is pretty mild and the birds hang around our yard year round. They must be finding something to eat. Also, woodpeckers are not welcome in our yard.....well Northern Flickers anyway.
              The Bee and me, Maggie Forever! (January 1988- June 19, 2010), Irving Always! (March 1987 - October 25, 1999) Vancouver, BC, Theo my big beautiful boy. July 27, 2010-April 3, 2017

Comment

If I didn't get the mixed seed prepared with no sunflower seeds, it would be wall-to-wall squirrels under the feeders, and the ground feeders would have no chance. I do get some squirrels, but at least the ground feeding birds have a change. The squirrels don't stay long. A couple of days ago I saw a brown creeper. That was a bit exciting. I would love to get pine siskins back here.
                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                X