Birds are hungry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Birds are hungry

The snow arrived as predicted, although the snow is fluffy, I suspect at least 6-8" and still snowing heavily. Yesterday, few birds and it was cold, but this morning, they brought all their friends, including the bushy tailed tree climber. There is a cardinal on the domed feeder, and another one waiting in the bushes in the background.

in edit: Yes, the news indicated my area was in a narrow band of intense snow, so I figure I got over a foot, including several inches of sleet.

Feb 18s.jpg
    Last edited by calicokitty; 02-18-2021, 02:05 PM.
    sigpic

To me, that’s a lot of snow! I see cardinal on the feeder.
    Diane and Cicero - Sr. Manager:

Comment

I got about a foot of snow, and this morning we are getting a mixture of snow and freezing rain. I put down sand on the sidewalks and driveway. I didn't even want to risk walking down the driveway to get the newspaper without the sand. It has been an endless stream of snow storms and I am running out of places to put the shoveled snow. Another storm Monday, but that is expected to turn to rain. We are over 16 days of continuous snow cover, which is unusual for this area. The second cardinal is the red dot on the right against the tree trunk. He is sitting in the bare bush. I attract two cardinal pairs.

in edit: days, not weeks
      Last edited by calicokitty; 02-19-2021, 06:19 PM.
      sigpic

Comment

And we can barely squeez out an inch of rain! I see the second cardinal.

Comment

We had about 10 cm of snow but then it started raining the next day and now it’s gone. We are not supposed to feed the birds this winter as there is some kind of bird plague happening locally. Our yard has a lot of natural sources of food so the birds are ok unless they make each other sick. Only in Canada do we have a lock down for birds too! Apparently it’s some kind of salmonella outbreak.
          The Bee and me, Maggie Forever! (January 1988- June 19, 2010), Irving Always! (March 1987 - October 25, 1999) Vancouver, BC, Theo my big beautiful boy. July 27, 2010-April 3, 2017

Comment

I know several years ago in this area they were urging people who feed birds to rigorously sanitize their feeders on an almost weekly or multi-day basis, due to something they can transmit from a dirty feeder. I wonder if that is the same illness potential.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by calicokitty View Post
              I know several years ago in this area they were urging people who feed birds to rigorously sanitize their feeders on an almost weekly or multi-day basis, due to something they can transmit from a dirty feeder. I wonder if that is the same illness potential.
              That would describe a salmonella problem.
              The Bee and me, Maggie Forever! (January 1988- June 19, 2010), Irving Always! (March 1987 - October 25, 1999) Vancouver, BC, Theo my big beautiful boy. July 27, 2010-April 3, 2017

Comment

Originally posted by MW&MW View Post

That would describe a salmonella problem.
                Dirty feeders are a big problem for birds. The birds around here don’t really need feeders, they’re just for people who want to attract birds to look at them. I don’t feed birds any more.

Comment

Birds really don't need bird feeders to survive. There is an astonishing amount of seeds, etc., that is available. Although with heavy snow, that can be more difficult. But birds have made it through winters long before people fed them. But there is a lot of money to be made with feeding birds and people that do feed birds feel stronger in protecting their environs than non-feeders.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by DianeP View Post

Dirty feeders are a big problem for birds. The birds around here don’t really need feeders, they’re just for people who want to attract birds to look at them. I don’t feed birds any more.
                    I don’t feed them either. The squirrels hate me.

Comment

Originally posted by calicokitty View Post
                      Birds really don't need bird feeders to survive. There is an astonishing amount of seeds, etc., that is available. Although with heavy snow, that can be more difficult. But birds have made it through winters long before people fed them. But there is a lot of money to be made with feeding birds and people that do feed birds feel stronger in protecting their environs than non-feeders.
                      If I lived in a cold or snowy winter area I’d feed during the winter like you do. But it never gets very cold here.

Comment

Right now there is a large absence of birds visiting the feeders. No apparent reason, and yesterday was about 4" of heavy snow, but now it is getting warmer. Since the amount of snow we get in a winter season has now gone above average, I want to assume there will be no more snow this season.
                        sigpic

Comment

Working...
                        X