Amusing phone call...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amusing phone call...

As I sat with a heavy kitty (Tige) on my lap, the phone rang. A local number (spoofed, of course). The call was interesting. It stated it was from law enforcement for the Federal Reserve system, and noted illegal activity in one of my bank accounts, and if I didn't respond, a warrant for my arrest would be issued. To talk to law enforcement, press 1. What the heck. Upon pressing 1, you got the typical message that "your call is very important", and hold for the next available operator. They answered " Law enforcement officer for the Federal Reserve". He sounded very foreign, so probably a call center in India or Pakistan. I don't think they liked my suggestion of what they could do. This is perhaps one of the most pitiful scam attempts ever.
    sigpic

My phone rang about 10 times yesterday morning with calls from the same city. I didn’t answer any of them so I don’t know who they were.
    Diane and Cicero - Sr. Manager:

Comment

I use caller ID and like Diane if I don't know who it is I don't answer. If they keep calling without leaving a message I block them.

Comment

Unfortunately, if I only answered for numbers I recognized, I would miss calls that are meant for me. But letting it go to voice mail is not always great. Awhile back when a scammer for Apple 'security' kept calling, my mail box filled up and it took time to delete all them. But I am so glad the government passed laws to protect against robo-calls. It has really made NO difference. Callers who spoof a local phone number should get the death penalty. But I have to admit pretending they are law enforcement for the Federal Reserve is a real hoot.
        sigpic

Comment

Its hard to believe that there are enough people left who have not heard of this scam to fall for it, or make the scam worthwhile.
          The Bee and me, Maggie Forever! (January 1988- June 19, 2010), Irving Always! (March 1987 - October 25, 1999) Vancouver, BC, Theo my big beautiful boy. July 27, 2010-April 3, 2017

Comment

Originally posted by MW&MW View Post
            Its hard to believe that there are enough people left who have not heard of this scam to fall for it, or make the scam worthwhile.
            To many older people, simply mention the idea that they could be arrested and they buckle. And my Father (RIP) was of the generation to always be cooperative to authority. I don't think he ever got scammed, but many do. The main 'problem' with this attempt was that it was so ham handed. And to top it off, when you pressed to be connected, you had to immediately know it was not legitimate. I really hope they took my 'advice' of what they could do.
            sigpic

Comment

Working...
            X