X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marineland under attack

http://www.niagarathisweek.com/news/...ose-marineland
    http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/a...quality-issues

Marineland is under attack. The Niagara Falls, Ontario tourist attraction has been featured in the news this week, with allegations of abuse and neglect...now, the Ontario SPCA has announced it will do an inspection of the privately-owned facility. The newscasts this week have shown some disturbing footage and questioned the water quality, as several of the water mammals have eye conditions (though their vet says it's because of natural degeneration with age...since they have already exceeded their normal life expectancy in the wild, by being captive and receiving better care, their eyes can't keep up with the extended life span...that's what they said, anyway.*shrug*)

That's great...but isn't announcing the inspection in advance defeating the purpose, which is to see the place as it really is? I would rather they not have announced, just shown up and not given the owners/staff a chance to clean up before their arrival, which, no doubt, will include more media.

I gave up going to public aquariums years ago as I found them too upsetting - the Vancouver Aquarium has also come under attack in recent years.

I'd like them all closed down.
    Home of Caesar (from Alaska) and Cookie (from the Yukon).

Remembering Boo (2002-2018), Latte (2000-2012), and Bali (1998-2011)

Based on some of what I have gotten in the way of alerts, announcing in advance the inspections will not change all that much. Unless a major change is made. The question is why did it get that far in the first place?
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by calicokitty View Post
      Based on some of what I have gotten in the way of alerts, announcing in advance the inspections will not change all that much. Unless a major change is made. The question is why did it get that far in the first place?
      It's been reported by previous employees - which just makes the owner say they were 'disgruntled'.

Putting marine mammals on dry dock for days on end (supposedly because of faulty water quality) is just plain wrong...

I think all these places should be shut down and all animals be allowed to live as they should live...shorter lives, yes, but natural. (Now ask me what planet I think I'm on...)

The inspections were announced mid-week but haven't happened yet, as far as the reports say. They aren't going to change the eye infections, or do much in way of improving the water - but they could clean up some, so I see your point.

I was surprised to find that Marineland is owned by a private person....not a corporation, no board to respond to, etc. That, to me, raises red flags.

Comment

He said that CAZA inspected Marineland last year and gave it a pass and that CAZA has not received any complaints about the facility since that time.

But Peters says the only province that has actual laws forcing zoos and aquariums to be accredited is British Columbia. Those laws require a facility to maintain a certain standard of care.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toront...d-animals.html

http://www.cbc.ca/news/yourcommunity...aquariums.html
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by calicokitty View Post
          He said that CAZA inspected Marineland last year and gave it a pass and that CAZA has not received any complaints about the facility since that time.

But Peters says the only province that has actual laws forcing zoos and aquariums to be accredited is British Columbia. Those laws require a facility to maintain a certain standard of care.

]
          I find that surprising, considering how often the Vancouver Aquarium comes under attack for questionable practices..

Fact is, anybody can buy anything and sell it as a tourist attraction - people do it not only with aquariums, but with roadside 'petting zoos' and I'm not sure if they fall under any laws, period.

I didn't see the movie, but there was one released last year - something like "An Elephant in the Room', about how easy it is to buy exotic animals and have them in your own home - rhinos, tigers, etc. Incredible abuse, misuse - and often violence as the wild animal is not equipped to deal with the constraints placed upon them. One man in the mid-west was raising bengal tigers (he had 29) and was giving them away free to anybody who expressed an interest. It was all filmed undercover, of course.

Anyway, I suspect these privately owned aquariums are the same sort of deal. Lousy legislation, no protection, no concern for the animals - only for escaping scrutiny.

Marineland has been around since I was a kid....I think I went with my mom when I was maybe 6 or 7, but not since. I was mortified even then.

But I did go to the Vancouver Aquarium when I was there for several months....of course, I didn't get to see behind the scenes, and that's really where the stories are...but they've been called to task for all manner of things - inadequate housing, treatment of show animals, etc.

I won't go again.

If it means all these place are shut down, and the animals released to the wild - yes, they would probably die because their food hunting skills are shot to hell....but I'd rather they be rehabilitated for release.

When I lived in Alaska, I had the pleasure of going to the http://www.alaskasealife.org/ Alaska SeaLife Centre - Alaka's only public aquarium - whose mission is rescue, rehabilitation and research. They have exhibits, too - not shows, per se - but exhibits - and they invite the public behind the scenes to see the hospital rooms, etc. They allow the public a chance to hold crustaceans, etc. When I was there, they were rehabbing an injured sea lion and an orphaned puffin.

THAT is how to do it...THAT contributes, while educating and providing a great day outing for a family.

Comment

Marineland appears to have been cleared:
            http://ca.finance.yahoo.com/news/mar...190000348.html

But yet, officials said they needed to follow up and some animals may be removed:
            http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/Canada/2...=rssnewscanada

IN the meantime, a petition asking for Marineland to be closed has topped 50,000 signatures thus far...

Comment

They should never actually have the animals in the first place if they want to neglect them. The animals need more concerns than human. WAHH I'm mad :')

Comment

Working...
              X